PDA

View Full Version : ATI dimmable overheating

Yarm79
08/07/2014, 04:29 PM
Anyone know what this could be?
Bought an ATI dimmable today(new) Plugged it in.
When I switched it on it said it was 20 odd degrees on the screen
Then after about 20 mins bumped up to 50c then started dimming the bulbs
It is open with gap around it and above and below.
It's currently off and the screen says 32c? The water temp is 26 and the ambient temp is 23 so is there something wrong with the thermostat?

mcgyvr
08/07/2014, 06:17 PM
50 deg c temperature is not unlikely at all for a light of any kind..
also heat can take a decent amount of time to dissipate from an area/surface/material.

Mark426
08/07/2014, 08:06 PM
Mine never has gone above 40C that I have noticed. I know it sounds dumb but are you sure the fans are working. Also, check out ATI vids on adjusting the fan voltage if for some strange reason yours is out of whack. There is a link on their site to the vids or go to YouTube and search for it, if you haven't already done so. There are some helpful vids on troubleshooting too. Last thing...the acrylic shield has to be on it as well for proper airflow....or so I have been told.

Yarm79
08/08/2014, 01:47 AM
Mine never has gone above 40C that I have noticed. I know it sounds dumb but are you sure the fans are working. Also, check out ATI vids on adjusting the fan voltage if for some strange reason yours is out of whack. There is a link on their site to the vids or go to YouTube and search for it, if you haven't already done so. There are some helpful vids on troubleshooting too. Last thing...the acrylic shield has to be on it as well for proper airflow....or so I have been told.

It's sat at 23c this morning when it's off?
Fans are on. It is UK spec as that's where I am and we have a higher voltage than US so I'm guessing it's set correctly, I'm waiting on the store getting back to me.
The screen is on too :)

hja99
08/08/2014, 01:11 PM
I have an 8X54. My ambient temp is about 24.4 with my airconditioning in use. My fixture runs at around 46 when I have both banks running at 75%. If I run the intensity higher, then it heats up to the point where the fixture will auto-dim. 75% is still plenty bright on my standard 90 gallon tank.