PDA

View Full Version : LFS Aiptasia Infestation

tylr9m482
08/09/2014, 08:42 AM
So I went to my local lfs yesterday and I saw a very nice zoa frag for $40, it had about 12-15 heads and was a very unique color. I cant remember the name but it was definatley not something you see often. They even offered to throw in a free 25$ zoa frag. My concern however was that I noticed an aiptasia infestation in a number of their tanks. My question is, is it worth the risk to purchase from them? If I check the frag all around before the purchase and see no aiptasia is it safe or can they be hiding and infest my tank later? I'd appreciate your thoughts and if you would be willing to buy in these circumstances. Again, these zoas are fairly rare and very beautiful, this is the only reason Im even considering it.

Thank you!

JMorris271
08/09/2014, 10:09 AM
Do you QT your corals?

tylr9m482
08/09/2014, 10:21 AM
No, I usually just aclimate for about an hour or so depending on the coral. I dont have a qt set up, although i do have a spare ten gallon, heater, and powerhead laying around. But Id rather not have to go that route, although I do see the advantages. Is there a good coral dip that might suffice?

Nina51
08/09/2014, 10:29 AM
my lfs ALWAYS has aiptasias in their tanks. i have never let it deter me if i really wanted something. so far, i have never brought any aiptasia in on a coral. i dip in Seachem Reef dip coral disinfectant and they go right into my dt. while i qt all fish/inverts, i have never done this with corals.

firemountain
08/09/2014, 03:25 PM
So I went to my local lfs yesterday and I saw a very nice zoa frag for $40, it had about 12-15 heads and was a very unique color. I cant remember the name but it was definatley not something you see often. They even offered to throw in a free 25$ zoa frag. My concern however was that I noticed an aiptasia infestation in a number of their tanks. My question is, is it worth the risk to purchase from them? If I check the frag all around before the purchase and see no aiptasia is it safe or can they be hiding and infest my tank later? I'd appreciate your thoughts and if you would be willing to buy in these circumstances. Again, these zoas are fairly rare and very beautiful, this is the only reason Im even considering it.

Thank you!

Can I ask the name of the store.....Please don't say it's Absolutely Fish in Clifton....I just bought my CUC and inverts from them.

accordsirh22
08/09/2014, 03:54 PM
aiptasia are easy to kill. injections or peppermints work like a charm. i'd say get em

SoonerE39
08/09/2014, 04:40 PM
Peppermints will eat them half the time. But not all peppermints will eat it

kenny1
08/09/2014, 04:42 PM
Pepper mints and long nose butterfly fish sometimes eat them. They are really hard to eradicate.

kenny1
08/09/2014, 04:49 PM
If you can burn the aiptasia off without hurting the zoas I would do it. It has worked for me in the past. Make sure to monitor it in the next few days to make sure that they do not reappear.

apcoleman
08/09/2014, 06:31 PM
I have had good luck with aiptasia-x and peppermint shrimp if I have ever seen any in my system

tylr9m482
08/09/2014, 09:50 PM
Can I ask the name of the store.....Please don't say it's Absolutely Fish in Clifton....I just bought my CUC and inverts from them.

I won't drop the name but it isn't the store you mentioned!

tylr9m482
08/09/2014, 09:52 PM
Thanks everyone, I think ill just go for it and if there is any on my frag (which I'll check in-store first) Ill just treat the frag outside of my dt with some aiptasia-x or boiling water injections.

firemountain
08/09/2014, 10:17 PM
I won't drop the name but it isn't the store you mentioned!

Ok. Cool. That's good enough for me. I appreciate it!!

Mcgeezer
08/10/2014, 05:18 PM
Kalkwasser kills aiptasia on contact