PDA

View Full Version : Anemone and refugium questions

Cesfilly
08/09/2014, 10:57 AM
Hello reefers!

I had a couple questions for you guys.

First my tank: 5.5 mo old 55 gallon reef tank with a 40 gal breeder sump complete with protein skimmer and refugium. Nitrates between 0-5, pH 8, ca 460, ammonia 0, nitrites 0.

I wanted to get an anemone for my clownfish and another anemone for the sexy shrimp. I was thinking about getting a BT and a rock flower anemone. I wasn't sure if my tank was large enough to accommodate both of those. I want to get the bubble tip, wait a few months and then get the rock flower anemone. What is the best way to prep the tank so the BT won't get caught in powerheads etc? Detailed instructions would be awesome!

Secondly, I have noticed a lot of algae (not the chaeto, probably diatoms) growing over the substrate in the fuge. Do people usually throw snails or crabs in there? What keeps them from going other places in the sump?

Additionally, I have a pre-pump filter on the return pump, can copepods get through that?

Thanks so much!!

Cesfilly
08/12/2014, 03:34 PM
Anyone?

Cesfilly
08/12/2014, 03:36 PM
I'm sorry I don't have pretty pictures to entice anyone to respond.

Sk8r
08/12/2014, 04:55 PM
Suggest you repost in the Anemones & Clownfish forum. You'll get more knowledgeable answers---I hope.

Scubasteve13
08/12/2014, 06:09 PM
Anemones need high output lighting like a 4 bulb t5 fixture or reef ready LEDs. Tank size is good. Personally I have 3 anemones in my 55. I would start with a bubble tip then add later when you are confident the first 1 is doing fine( a couple of months after). A couple of hermits and snail will be alright in the fuge as long as the intakes for the pump is covered.