PDA

View Full Version : Bath tub converted into reef tank?

SoloChromis
08/11/2014, 10:40 PM
Now *this* is when you know you're a true reef junkie. Now before I get into details I want to let everyone know two things. #1 no, it wouldn't be a functioning bath tub :rolleyes: and #2 if this project ever gets put into action it wont be for another couple years until I can buy my own place and get the actual tank I have now looking how I want it (so no pics :frog:). The other day I let my imagination get the best of me and started thinking of converting one of those old bath tubs with the claw feet into a full blown reef. Have the the return plumbed into the faucet so it appears that the tub is just continuously being filled without ever overflowing, and the drain could be hidden somewhere else (maybe the overflow drain). It would all cycle through a hidden sump nearby with a skimmer and some filter socks. Flow would be provided by a small wavebox. You could fill the tank with hardy, prolific corals like xenia, GSP, kenya tree and mushrooms. For fish I was thinking of having it filled with a moderate amount of different damsels, to provide color and movement to the person looking down into the "tank". Maybe a blenny of some kind who can hold his own against his damsel tank-mates and also keep any nuisance algae at bay. Have a couple of red mangroves growing from the center of the tub with a few rocks emerging from the water to create a sort of "tidal area" where I could have some zoas growing in the cracks and a group of fiddler crabs scuttling around. I think it can be done with some creativity and realistic expectations (they work so well together :spin2:). What do you guys think? Have you ever turned something that probably wasn't built with the intention of housing a whole ecosystem into a reef? Thanks everyone :beer:

Fibinotchi
08/11/2014, 10:53 PM
Well, to each there own, but why spend so much time and effort and money on something that you cant enjoy from an underwater view? Plus evaporation and salt spray would be a pain.

Pife
08/12/2014, 05:16 AM
There are a lot of reefs in jars and jugs. There are people that have large ponds in there basements. I would do it as bath tubs aren't very big and your faucet idea would probably expose your saltwater to copper/brass.

gone fishin
08/12/2014, 07:41 AM
LOL Back in the spring we was driving down the road and I saw a hot tub for sale. My wife saw me looking at it and immediately said no it is not becoming a reef.

SoloChromis
08/12/2014, 10:21 AM
Well, to each there own, but why spend so much time and effort and money on something that you cant enjoy from an underwater view? Plus evaporation and salt spray would be a pain.

For fun :dance:

SoloChromis
08/12/2014, 10:24 AM
There are a lot of reefs in jars and jugs. There are people that have large ponds in there basements. I would do it as bath tubs aren't very big and your faucet idea would probably expose your saltwater to copper/brass.

I was thinking you could probably either replace the faucet or line it with something to protect the tank from any potential leaching. The average bath tub can hold anywhere between 60-70 gallons, so you could house a decent variety of small fish and coral considering it's size and filtration.

d2mini
08/12/2014, 11:58 AM
I've seen some cool look-down lagoon-style tanks before, but they are much bigger with overall proportions that are much more shallow than a claw foot bathtub. Interesting idea, but picturing it in my head, I'm not feelin it.

Wazzel
08/12/2014, 12:05 PM
Claw foot bathtubs are cast iron and will rust like mad when exposed to saltwater. One little chip in the coating is all it would take.

Crooked Reef
08/12/2014, 12:12 PM
Concern 1, old claw foot bathtubs are mostly if not all of them made from enamel coated cast iron. Long term I don't know what salt water would do to it or if the enamel would coat the tub enough to be reef safe. Concern 2 is lighting and viewing. With lights over the tub and some sort of surface agitation it is going to be hard to see anything very good. It's a neat idea but may not be feasible. I would suggest before you get into planning to fill a tub or sink you have now, direct a powerhead to agitate the surface and turn lights on above it to see if it is even worth the planning time.

JoelA7
08/13/2014, 12:42 AM
Go for it. :-)

Its.Evannn
08/13/2014, 12:51 AM
I'm hoping to buy a swimming pool and make it a reef haha but bath tub works too! Who needs to bathe lol

Pife
08/13/2014, 03:32 AM
I'm hoping to buy a swimming pool and make it a reef haha but bath tub works too! Who needs to bathe lol

I literally lol