PDA

View Full Version : Questions on controllers

Postie0717
08/12/2014, 09:05 AM
Hi all,

I am thinking of adding a controller to my system and I am looking for some advice.

I have a 90 gal DT with a 75 gal sump. Right now I have 1 fish and one piece of frog spawn coral, but I am looking to add both fish and coral in the future.

I have LED lights with a built in controller.

I want something that will better allow me to control the temp of the tank, and provide easier monitoring of the system.

The 2 I was looking at are:

Digital Aquatics Reefkeeper Lite Aquarium Controller (L3)
Neptune Systems Apex Controller Package (Standard)

I would also like to use it to control the temp of my FW tank in the same room.

I don't really know one from the other so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

4Hummer
08/12/2014, 09:10 AM
ReefKeeper = Cheaper. But Less Modules and Options, and harder to Program

Neptune = A LOT more cash. Many More Modules and Options, better programming

Love my Reef Keeper, and I have been able to do everything I need to do with it, but I admire the Apex.

Washout
08/12/2014, 09:36 AM
I am about to do the same thing, and after going through several reviews and articles on each system, I have come to the conclusion that the Apex is the one to buy.

I am a bit of a tech geek though, so that is definitely help me sway more towards the Apex, a lot more freedom to get your system to do what you want.

mcgyvr
08/12/2014, 10:14 AM
and provide easier monitoring of the system.

which means what? wifi/remote monitoring of sensors? alarm?
ato?

Just start reading the features of each and see if its what you need.

Postie0717
08/15/2014, 07:19 AM
That's part of the problem, I read both feature sets and they will both do what I need.

I think that as much as I want the apex, the only things I really need to control are the heaters and the reefkeeper will do that just as well for half the price. I might upgrade in the future, but I am going to order the reefkeeper for now.

ganjero
08/15/2014, 07:41 AM
ReefKeeper = Cheaper. But Less Modules and Options, and harder to Program

I disagree, of all the controllers IMO RK is the easiest to program..it might be the hardest to customize (maybe that's what you meant).

That's part of the problem, I read both feature sets and they will both do what I need.

I think that as much as I want the apex, the only things I really need to control are the heaters and the reefkeeper will do that just as well for half the price. I might upgrade in the future, but I am going to order the reefkeeper for now.

If all you want to do is control heaters get a Ranco controller they are made specifically for that purpose. Many people with aquarium controllers use Rancos just for the heaters.