PDA

View Full Version : Help with wiring my Apex

coolbreezecs
08/12/2014, 09:03 PM
So I am at the point of wiring my equipment to my apex and I am having trouble figuring out what should be plugged into what outlets on my EB8s .
I want to wire in a manner that I have backup power to the main module . I have a backup battery for that just not sure if I just daisy chain all the modules together and plug all equipment into the EB8s ? Guess I need some direction.

bemerritt
08/12/2014, 10:05 PM
Plug one eb8 into the backup and plug everything into that. 15 amps max.

spoonman1979
08/13/2014, 05:13 AM
As long as one EB 8 is plugged into your back up, you will always have power to the main module. Easiest way is to have one EB 8 plugged into your battery back up and the other plugged into a regular outlet. In the event of a power failure whatever is plugged into the EB8 will run off of the battery and controlled as normal by the main module, the other EB 8 will be dead and nothing will run during the outage. I have successfully used this system through several power failures. I have the MP 40s, small heater, and low power important stuff on the back up EB 8 and my metal halides and extra heater on the non-back up EB 8.

Spar
08/13/2014, 07:06 AM
What backup equipment are you using? I need to do this...

skimjim
08/13/2014, 07:41 AM
the main module gets its power via the USB cable plugged into the EB8....then the EB8 gets plugged into the wall. if you plug the EB8 into a UPS (like an APC UPS) then that EB8 and the module will remain powered on during power failures.

if you want to NOT have certain heavy AC-draw devices not on the UPS backup, you'll need to have a second EB8.

me personally.... i have two EB8s. my main EB8 is plugged into an American Power Conversion (APC) UPS and i strategically only plug devices into this EB8 that I want powered on during a power failure. my second EB8 only has devices that are too heavy of an AC-draw to run on the UPS and is only plugged into a surge protector.

HTH

Spar
08/13/2014, 08:40 AM
I had tried running Mag Drive pumps on an APC UPS before and it didn't work; apparently the UPS's couldn't handle the initial surge that aquarium equipment often requires. But this was 10+ years ago that I tried it.

Maybe it is time to try it again. I have 6 EB8/4's, but really only care to have one plugged into a UPS.

hkgar
08/13/2014, 01:22 PM
me personally.... i have two EB8s. my main EB8 is plugged into an American Power Conversion (APC) UPS

HTH

Which model do you have?