PDA

View Full Version : Need a display to upgrade to fusion?

dpstrand
08/13/2014, 03:01 PM
My display module fell into some water and is now a paperweight. However, my apex has been working fine despite the lack of display. I just use the app to interface with it. I am switching lights soon though so I am tempted to update to fusion. Can I do it without the display module? If so, is there any real need to replace the display module or can I just keep on using the web interface going forward?

debmar30
08/13/2014, 03:07 PM
Call Apex, the support they give is phenomenal!:

BIGD0G
08/13/2014, 03:13 PM
You can connect to fusion with having the display unit. The only real reason for the display is audible alarms. Everything else you can do with fusion/web interface/phone app.

kurt_n
08/13/2014, 07:19 PM
Updating firmware, if 4.20 or lower, is all you need to do to get Fusion. You don't need/use the display to update firmware, so you're good to go!

In the past, there were reasons to need the display, but everything - except for audible alarms - can now be done through the webpages. Granted, if your network honks up and you can't reach your Apex through your network, the display is really really handy. But it's not required.

aleithol
08/14/2014, 03:30 PM
Agree that a display has become somewhat optional for some folks except for items discussed. IIRC, there is still one little thing the display is also uniquely useful for, and that is to update the bootloader code that comes with some new firmware releases upon occasion. Many people I'm sure miss doing that since it's not always required, but there is no other way to update it except from the display, and I'm all for keeping the code that is used to start/restart my controller as current as possible. ;-)

triggreef
08/22/2014, 11:06 AM
I've never had the display. The one time things got messy for me Apex support was able to log in and fix it.