PDA

View Full Version : Eurobracing: recessed or not?

highergroove
08/14/2014, 09:25 PM
I am having a 300 gallon built by LeeMar and I wanted to do recessed eurobracing so that we don't spill water down the front of the tank when get our hands in the tank.

My LFS is telling me that I will regret it. He said that I will always see the glass through the water line and that we will spend more time cleaning it. However, I would think if it is a 1/2" recess, LeeMar would just build the teeth of the overflow lower, right?

What is your opinion on recessed eurobraces?

albano
08/14/2014, 09:39 PM
What is your opinion on recessed eurobraces?
Well, since you asked... IMO, they look like crap... Just going to have 'dried salt' sitting there...LFS has a shark tank set up like that, and I wouldn't take it for free!
And why would you need it dropped 1/2"?... It should work just as well with 1/8" drop, though I'm not sure what water spill you're worried about.

savethereef
08/14/2014, 10:51 PM
I would not do it. Water drops for me just gives me an excuse to clean the glass. But if it's a big deal for you and you are using a canopy go for it.just make sure your canopy hides it as it will be an eye sore

dave.m
08/15/2014, 12:35 AM
It's bad enough finding time to scrape the glass, let alone wipe the SW droplets off the outside. I agree with the others here: it looks like crap and offers no redeeming benefits.

Dave.M

SchnitzelReef
08/15/2014, 12:46 AM
I have recessed Eurobrace, and I wouldn't own a tank with out it. It keeps the water from constantly rolling down the outside glass. U wont regret recessed eurobracing, and ask leemar to recess it 1/8", and to make sure the overflow is low enough so that it doesn't hot the bracing. Problem solved.

Leemar built my tank, turned out really nice.

highergroove
08/15/2014, 10:05 AM
I guess I should have mentioned I will have a canopy. The spill I am worried about is the same as SchitzelReef - we mess around with coral in the tank from the top and inevitably, we end up dripping onto the eurobrace and then it runs down the front and then I have to clean the front each time. I have to clean the eurobrace regularly anyway.

For those that say no - are you saying no eurobrace? or just no to the recessed?

dave.m
08/15/2014, 10:08 AM
Just no to "recessed" for me. I prefer euro-bracing for anything 24" tall and over.

Dave.M

sandyland
08/15/2014, 09:37 PM
I have a friend with a similar tank. He loves it and I think it is functional and is not distracting visually. I think his is only recessed about 1/4" or less