PDA

View Full Version : Another Apex Question

reefngeek
08/15/2014, 06:10 AM
Hello! Like many, I have recently aquired an apex and am quite satisfied with its abilities off the network. Now that I am leaving to study abroad in a few weeks and I wanted to get the internet connection hooked up in order to have some peace of mind while my brother takes care of the tank.

I get rather lost while reading the manual and thus have brought my questions here. I have an wired connection and can plug it into my apex at anytime, but I am afraid of what step 2 is going to ask.

After I plug in my ethernet cable to my apex, what do I do? Is the setup easier versus wireless?

I just need some starter building blocks, and will appreciate all the resources you guys might have for me.

:hammer:

slief
08/15/2014, 09:15 AM
If I were you, I would stick with the wired install. The Apex should be setup for DHCP.. In which case, you just plug the ethernet in to the Apex and it should become available on your local network. From there, the easiest way to connect to it externally is via Fusion. With Fusion you can avoid having to deal with Dynamic DNS as well as port forwarding within your router.

Once you have it plugged in to your network, go into the Apex display panel by hitting the round button and toggle to the network settings menu where you will find the IP address. From your home network, type in the IP address and it should bring you to your Apex webpage where you can enable Fusion and get it setup.
Here is a link to the Fusion quick start guide on the Neptune Systems forum. There is lots of great info on Fusion here as well as all things Apex.
http://forum.neptunesystems.com/showthread.php?5875-Fusion-Quick-Start-Guide