PDA

View Full Version : Finishing a stand question

Jen0221
08/16/2014, 05:58 PM
So a friend is building the stand for my 260 gal tomorrow. I will be staining it a gloss black. My question is will the stain hold up or do I need to coat it with anything else? Also do ppl do anything for the inside of the stand?

Arrgh
08/16/2014, 10:17 PM
Yes you might want to put a Lacquer or Polyurethane to protect the wood from water stains.

If it is a gloss black paint and not stain, then you may not have to do anything else depending on the type of paint.

It is generally a good idea to seal up any wood that is painted on one side, not just an aquarium. If you don't, there is a chance the unfinished side will absorb moisture from the air causing it to expand/bow.

billdogg
08/17/2014, 04:49 AM
^^^what he said^^^

I would use a couple coats of primer/sealer (kilz) and a top coat of gloss white on the inside of the stand, especially if you are putting a sump in it. You will have lots of moisture issues if you don't, and the gloss white will help with visibility inside the otherwise dark interior. I also run a nice bead of caulking around the inside joints to help control minor spillage.

Mark426
08/17/2014, 05:20 AM
Yes you might want to put a Lacquer or Polyurethane to protect the wood from water stains.

If it is a gloss black paint and not stain, then you may not have to do anything else depending on the type of paint.

It is generally a good idea to seal up any wood that is painted on one side, not just an aquarium. If you don't, there is a chance the unfinished side will absorb moisture from the air causing it to expand/bow.

Exactly and several coats on the inside.