PDA

View Full Version : 9-10 gallon cube mod help...

gREEF stricken
08/17/2014, 11:00 AM
To the DIY gurus...

I have a plain jain cube. 12 x12 x13. I wish to have glass cut to fashion a sump refugium on the back. think I can get the hole drilled and the glass cut fairly cheaply and can do the gluin myself making for an affordable upgrade. My question to those of you with cubes like this either factory or DIY...where should I dill the hole? how does a second compartment style like this work? how to screen the intake for best aesthic? wish this to be autonomous, no tether to a sump as it sits on a stereo speaker next to TV in living room. only fetter wife is gonna tolerate on this tank will be an ATO vessl on the floor. Any suggestions before I go orderin and cutting glass?? this tank is gonna be a 1 or 2 fish with SPS tank. 175W MH. would love to be to use return for flow so no circ pump is clingin to DT wall. Discreet Skimmer thoughts? planning to put LR rublle and Chaeto in the fuge

GS

Arrgh
08/17/2014, 03:22 PM
Are you asking where to drill the hole in the dividing wall in an "All in one" tank?

I would have the return in the lower portion of the wall. Most of these tanks have a acrylic dividing wall. This would be easier to have a screened overflow then trying to screen a glass one. Nylon mesh would work if you could sort out a way to attach it.

A discrete skimmer can be made from a small gravel vac and airstone. Air operated, surprisingly effective.