PDA

View Full Version : Tunze 9415 issue

epleeds
08/17/2014, 07:51 PM
Roger,

I have this skimmer set up on a 160 gallon tank with a light bioload. Every time I try to run the filter sock, the skimmer fills up with water and doesn't produce any bubbles. When I take the sock off the skimmer works great, however it runs really wet.

Is there a trick with this skimmer. It has been running for 3 months.

I also have it running at around 7 inches.

rvitko
08/18/2014, 10:32 AM
Make sure the basket with the sock is below the top of the pipe, anything that increases the height of the pipe backs up the water level in the skimmer. Also be sure the pipe is pressed into the base all the way.

epleeds
08/18/2014, 01:42 PM
Thanks roger. Will check it out

epleeds
09/08/2014, 05:53 PM
Roger

I did what u explained above and I am still getting very wet skimming. Is there a way to limit the height inside the skimmer so that it skims a little dryer?

rvitko
09/09/2014, 09:11 AM
Shortening the pipe, but I wouldn't do that. We do generally design our skimmers to skim wet, while this is a subject of debate in the hobby, regardless of whether you agree more waste is removed or more trace elements, the bottom line is the cup stays cleaner and more is removed overall simply for this reason. With dry skimming the cup quickly cakes up with a film which impedes further skimming, but generally wet skimming is believed to remove more waste though it also removes more salt and trace elements. Also, as the tank ages and the skimmer removes more built up waste the skimming will become drier and drier, usually at 6 months you will start to see this. If I were to cut the pipe, just keep in mind the smallest change can make a big difference and I would cut off a mm or 1/16" to start and wait a fair amount of time before making any further changes, otherwise you can reach a point where 6 months from now, it doesn't skim at all, at no point would I remove more than about 5mm or 1/4".

epleeds
09/09/2014, 12:06 PM
Roger,

I wasn't talking about cutting down the pipe. I was wondering if the waterline within the skimmer body could be lowered. That way it wouldn't skim as wet.

The issue is I have it set up at a service tank and I only go over every two weeks. The cup is basically full when I get there and I am trying to figure out a way that it doesn't fill up before the two weeks are up.

rvitko
09/09/2014, 02:19 PM
The pipe height is what sets that water level so it is the only way to adjust it. If the pipe is pushed in all the way you can try lowering the external water level but the pump needs to be submerged so at least 2/3rds of the motor is under water, this makes the pump work harder to fill the skimmer so the water level inside will be a little lower.