PDA

View Full Version : Maybe I'm too clumsy to do tank transfer

MellowReefer
08/18/2014, 09:18 AM
So annoyed with myself, this is the second time I've let a fish jump to the floor using the tank transfer method. And it's only the third time I've done it. I am just so tired in the morning, wish it could be done after work instead. I use a tupperware with a lid but had it off trying to dump the fish into the new tank and he flipped up and landed on my hardwood floor. In a panic once I was finally able to pick him up I just dropped him in the new tank, didn't give him a rinse off. So I'm worried about the dirt/bacteria on my floor now in the QT tank. Also wondering if he's scraped up. He looks fine. This was supposed to be the last transfer and I'm wondering if I should extend the QT to watch for bacterial infection or something.

GroktheCube
08/18/2014, 10:11 AM
It can be done in the evening. While the morning is ideal, the most important thing is no more than 72 hours between each transfer.

Newsmyrna80
08/18/2014, 11:22 AM
Lol, who hasn't done that:) He should be fine. Just keep an eye out for something like popeye. Be sure to keep his water pristine and you may want to add vitamins to his food. I'm doing my last transfer tomorrow on two clowns. I found a deep hand held colander which has been working good. I don't like nets.

Deinonych
08/18/2014, 11:51 AM
Lol, who hasn't done that:)

+1

I seem to do it at least once during the process. I now keep my TT tanks on the floor so any accidental drops are not too traumatic. :D

MellowReefer
08/18/2014, 11:54 AM
It can be done in the evening. While the morning is ideal, the most important thing is no more than 72 hours between each transfer.

Really? :) I guess the thinking on this has changed...from what I read last year I thought the morning time was crucial to success. Thanks!!

Spar
08/18/2014, 12:00 PM
Really? :) I guess the thinking on this has changed...from what I read last year I thought the morning time was crucial to success. Thanks!!

the only relevant thing about 'the morning' is that Trophonts tend to jump off the fish during the night while the fish is relaxed. So if doing the transfers in the morning then there are that much fewer Trophonts still feeding on the fish when you bring the fish over to the new tank. Regardless, the Trophonts must then go through the remainder of the life cycle which includes the Tomite stage (cyst hardened to a surface) which takes well over 72 hours to hatch... hence the 72 hours part of the TTM schedule. Doesn't matter what time of the day you do the transfers, that part will still hold true.

And since all Trophonts will have jumped off the fish in around 7 days, by doing transfers on Day 9 & 12, you have guaranteed that no more parasites exist in the system.

I prefer morning merely because I can wake up early to do the transfer. If I plan for it at night I have no clue if I will have to work late, go out for drinks with friends, etc; harder to manage my schedule.

MellowReefer
08/18/2014, 12:04 PM
Okay, glad I'm not the only one ;) I think I worry too much about not transferring any of the old water, but better that than dirt from the floor! Poor little dartfish, they seems so fragile. And hard to pick up off the floor.

MellowReefer
08/18/2014, 12:09 PM
the only relevant thing about 'the morning' is that Trophonts tend to jump off the fish during the night while the fish is relaxed. So if doing the transfers in the morning then there are that much fewer Trophonts still feeding on the fish when you bring the fish over to the new tank. Regardless, the Trophonts must then go through the remainder of the life cycle which includes the Tomite stage (cyst hardened to a surface) which takes well over 72 hours to hatch... hence the 72 hours part of the TTM schedule. Doesn't matter what time of the day you do the transfers, that part will still hold true.

And since all Trophonts will have jumped off the fish in around 7 days, by doing transfers on Day 9 & 12, you have guaranteed that no more parasites exist in the system.

I prefer morning merely because I can wake up early to do the transfer. If I plan for it at night I have no clue if I will have to work late, go out for drinks with friends, etc; harder to manage my schedule.

Thanks for clarifying!

Spar
08/18/2014, 12:29 PM
Okay, glad I'm not the only one ;) I think I worry too much about not transferring any of the old water, but better that than dirt from the floor! Poor little dartfish, they seems so fragile. And hard to pick up off the floor.

ha yes, i always freak out when a fish lands on the floor. always freak out trying to recall the proper protocol to clean them off...

technically, transferring any amounts of water over is not a problem. the life cycle stage that you are 'tricking' (or working around) with TTM is the Tomite/cyst stage. In this stage they are concreted to some hard surface in the tank, and aren't going to live through being dislodged, nor easily be dislodged for that matter. so water pouring out of the tank will just run right past/over them. and if the fish is scooped up, which is best practice, then you are only dealing with mid-tank water anyway where the Tomites aren't even present at.

the only stages possible to transfer over with the water are the Protomont and maybe Tomont, stages, both of which would still require the Tomite stage to complete before becoming infectious again... which is what takes well over 72 overs to do.

Regardless, I don't personally take my chances with that, so just move over as little water as possible to play it safe. I use a plastic strainer for that.

GroktheCube
08/18/2014, 12:55 PM
I actually often have better luck right after lights out. The fish are sitting ducks, easier to catch with minimal chasing. I put one pvc fitting at a time into my perforated plastic container, and toss the fish in the new tank as they come out.

Morning is optimal in theory, but the 72 hour window is what's key.

MellowReefer
08/18/2014, 01:59 PM
It was much easier for me last time because the fish hid in the pvc and I could just slide it into the container. Now for some reason these two dartfish only sleep on the side of the pvc. It's funny though how even if it seems like it was a traumatic chase, within about 90 seconds of being in the new tank they are swimming as usual and act like nothing happened.

It will be easier for me to do it after work. It sounds silly but I don't sleep well the night before a transfer, I'm worried about waking up on time and doing everything right so I can leave for work on time.

snorvich
08/19/2014, 11:09 AM

This. 72 hours is important, time of day is less so (except as Spar discussed)

MellowReefer
08/19/2014, 12:36 PM
This. 72 hours is important, time of day is less so (except as Spar discussed)

Thanks for confirming. Also happy to know that avoiding transferring any water is not that important, as the tomites are stuck on the bottom/equipment and not likely to be dislodged during the process of catching the fish. (But I know it's still a good idea not to transfer very much of the old water so they are getting all new/clean water every three days.) I can relax a little and hopefully not have any more fish falling to the floor.

MellowReefer
08/19/2014, 12:47 PM
Also hope you could help with another question? I think I read that it's now recommended to hold the fish after all transfers are done for at least another 2 weeks in case they have marine velvet? I'm confused as I thought that would show during this 2 week transfer process. I think it was last year one of the top contributors on this site (sorry can't remember) said if the fish look healthy he moves them to the DT right after the transfers are complete.

snorvich
08/19/2014, 01:01 PM
Also hope you could help with another question? I think I read that it's now recommended to hold the fish after all transfers are done for at least another 2 weeks in case they have marine velvet? I'm confused as I thought that would show during this 2 week transfer process. I think it was last year one of the top contributors on this site (sorry can't remember) said if the fish look healthy he moves them to the DT right after the transfers are complete.

Actually, 3 weeks after tank transfer. Sources for fish that run a low level of copper (non-therapeutic) can mask velvet and other parasites so you want to err on the side of caution since TT only eliminates ich.

Rea17
08/19/2014, 02:52 PM
Actually, 3 weeks after tank transfer. Sources for fish that run a low level of copper (non-therapeutic) can mask velvet and other parasites so you want to err on the side of caution since TT only eliminates ich.

I thought that velvet would reveal itself within 3 weeks (or 4, depending on who you ask). If the transfers take about two weeks, are you suggesting we need to be on the lookout for velvet for 5 weeks total?

Spar
08/19/2014, 03:05 PM
I thought that velvet would reveal itself within 3 weeks (or 4, depending on who you ask). If the transfers take about two weeks, are you suggesting we need to be on the lookout for velvet for 5 weeks total?

On top of concerns for velvet, brook, etc, is also the concern that possibly something went wrong with the TTM process. I do an extra 3 weeks in hopes that Ich will reappear during that time if something went wrong. Keep in mind that it is possible, albeit highly unlikely to actually happen, for a Tomite to form on the fish itself. If that happens, then TTM will fail (we would hear more of failures if this happened a reasonable enough to actually worry about it though, IMO)...

This worked recently for me while QT'ing 6 Tang's. They were heavily infested at the beginning, and a week after completing TTM some white spots started reappearing... i wasn't 100% it was Ich again, but I didn't take any chances and redid TTM.

MellowReefer
08/19/2014, 05:28 PM
I was just reading the long thread about tank transfer...read it before but not recently...now I saw someone say you shouldn't reuse air stones? Since they don't dry out all the way to the inside? I have been using the same two, do I need to do this all over again???

Newsmyrna80
08/20/2014, 06:35 AM
I was just reading the long thread about tank transfer...read it before but not recently...now I saw someone say you shouldn't reuse air stones? Since they don't dry out all the way to the inside? I have been using the same two, do I need to do this all over again???

If you want to be 100% sure then yes. Nothing should be reused in the next tank.

Spar
08/20/2014, 08:52 AM
I think he is saying he swapped them out each time. I used to let mine dry for 2 weeks between uses to be safe. I also would take the airstones of of the water before shutting the air off so that water doesn't fill the holes.

For how cheap they are it really is best to just throw them out IMO.

Rea17
08/20/2014, 09:03 AM
On top of concerns for velvet, brook, etc, is also the concern that possibly something went wrong with the TTM process. I do an extra 3 weeks in hopes that Ich will reappear during that time if something went wrong. Keep in mind that it is possible, albeit highly unlikely to actually happen, for a Tomite to form on the fish itself. If that happens, then TTM will fail (we would hear more of failures if this happened a reasonable enough to actually worry about it though, IMO)...

This worked recently for me while QT'ing 6 Tang's. They were heavily infested at the beginning, and a week after completing TTM some white spots started reappearing... i wasn't 100% it was Ich again, but I didn't take any chances and redid TTM.

I generally qt for a minimum of 8 weeks anyway, I was just looking for clarification on how long we should be on the lookout for velvet.