PDA

View Full Version : Thermal advesive

Megatrev62
08/19/2014, 02:13 PM
Is there an alternative to the thermal heat adhesive that you use for attaching the leds to heatsinks? Can't find the stuff in the stores so wondering if something else would work that most hardware or electical stores would carry? Thanks

iced98lx
08/19/2014, 02:14 PM
have a PC parts store near you? I use the Arctic Silver Adhesive (two part, you have to mix it) and that worked well, it's designed to hold Heatsinks onto CPUs and other chips.

mcgyvr
08/19/2014, 03:28 PM
If you aren't mechanically mounting the circuit boards to the heatsink then NO there is no replacement because you need adhesion as well as the grease functions.

but as posted above some computer stores will have the Arctic Silver adhesive or just order it online.

Megatrev62
08/19/2014, 05:46 PM
Thanks,I'll hit a few PC stores.

Webmanny
08/20/2014, 08:24 AM
I use this one from Rapidled.com and it works great! Good luck!

http://www.rapidled.com/arctic-alumina-thermal-adhesive/

Gorgok
08/20/2014, 06:08 PM
I would also recommend the last linked version. Arctic Alumina is an electrical insulator while Arctic Silver is not. Obviously a clean install of either will not have any potential electrical issues, but i'd still rather have the insulator instead of a semi conductor.

vasko2grama
08/21/2014, 04:06 AM
As previously mentioned you have only a few options. I prefer mechanical attachment with thermal paste. Second would be thermal adhesive and as a last resort you can always use thermal adhesive tape (Akasa AK-TT12-80), it is worse in terms of conductivity, but it's easy to use.

iced98lx
08/21/2014, 03:03 PM
I use this one from Rapidled.com and it works great! Good luck!

http://www.rapidled.com/arctic-alumina-thermal-adhesive/

There it is, that is what I was intending. This was originally for PC parts, so a lot of PC shops have it in stock. Couldn't come up with the Artic Alumina vs Artic Silver, I dont' think they make an adhesive Silver do they? either way, you'll want non-conductive.