PDA

View Full Version : DI resin troubles

jjvanb
08/19/2014, 05:15 PM
My current system is 1 micron sediment --> Chloraguard Carbon Block --> Chlorine Grabber Block --> MAXR RO Membrane --> Color Changing DI Resin

typical pressure is around 65 psi / 80 degrees F

The source water is around 210 - 220 ppm and comes out from the RO membrane at 4 ppm. So I figure everything is working fine up till then.

I can't get the DI resin to last more than a few uses. I flush the membrane before and after each use, and I divert the initial RO water to a drain before using it, to ensure the resin only ever sees 4 ppm water, never more, to avoid impact from " RO Creep". One of two things always happens...

A) the whole column of resin quickly turns color

B) (a little more frequently) the resin "settles" leaving up to 3/4 of an inch gap at the top of the resin container and the contents have separated. I have purchased pre packed resin, packed my own, added extra foam rings, tapped the resin in after adding it by the tablespoon full. Somehow what starts as a rock hard column of resin turns into one with a large gap, and not functioning.

Strange thing is it's not 100% of the time. Every once in a while, everything seems to "stick" and the resin will last a long time (months).

I am not new to repacking resin, I did it for years with no issue, but over the last year or so..... so many resin refills, replacement cartridges.. I don't know where I am going wrong.

Thank you for any advice you may have with this....

Buckeye Hydro
08/19/2014, 05:21 PM
Hmm. Relly no trick to packing the resin - you might try a beer bottle as a tamper. If you see any settling, before the whole bed fluidizes, add more resin and compact it.

I suspect when you say "the whole cartridge changes color" what you're seeing is the result of the bed fluidizing and the anion beads and cation beads separating.

Russ

Rwinfrey
08/24/2014, 07:00 PM
I had the same problem with my well water weird . I ended up packing a whole cartridge with anion resin worked but strange...