PDA

View Full Version : kalk self cleaning

graham hunt
08/20/2014, 05:57 AM
hi guys i hoped you chemists would put a laymans thoughts to rest,i have been using kalk in my top off from a still resevior for many years originaly in association with a calc reactor now offline.
works fine in my case fully saturated and evaporation is two galls a day on
350gall system,i think i have read most of randys fine articles and understood kalks self cleaning benifits due to its high ph i had assumed this cleaning effect would also work on incoming rodi water for top off should a small ammount of heavey metal or other impurities sneak through the supposed 0 tds reading
this i have always thought a real benifit,to me seems logical but i dont think i have ever read confirmation of it.
i would realy appreciate a chemist insite.
many thanks graham.

Randy Holmes-Farley
08/20/2014, 06:02 AM
Well, it is circular logic for me to confirm my own article, but I do believe it to be true.

It wouldn't be a perfect way to clean the water, but it does help unless the metals are at such low levels that they are below the concentration at which they would precipitate. It also won't apply to all metals, but it does seem to apply to copper. :)

graham hunt
08/20/2014, 06:53 AM
Well, it is circular logic for me to confirm my own article, but I do believe it to be true.

It wouldn't be a perfect way to clean the water, but it does help unless the metals are at such low levels that they are below the concentration at which they would precipitate. It also won't apply to all metals, but it does seem to apply to copper. :)

many thanks randy,sorry if i missed the information in your article(getting old)
yes copper was my main concern,i will revisit your much appreciated articles.
thanks for taking the time to respond.
regards graham.