PDA

View Full Version : Mandarin fish and quarantine

Ingasar
08/20/2014, 07:48 AM
I have a lfs with a mandarin that has been conditioned to eat frozen. My understanding is that copper treatment in quarantine is not done with mandarins because the copepods will not survive the copper treated water. If the mandarin eats frozen, then does he tolerate the qt with cu treatment the same as most other fish?

CoralsAddiction
08/20/2014, 07:59 AM
They have pretty thick slime coating that cannot be easily penetrated by parasites. I would surprised if your mandarin carried crypto or any other parasites.

Ingasar
08/20/2014, 08:01 AM
I am more worried about crypto living in the gills. I am just trying to be as close to 100% safe as possible.

snorvich
08/20/2014, 12:45 PM
Mandarins are ich resistant but there are other parasites that are much worse that they can acquire. They can get ich, just less susceptible.

Deinonych
08/20/2014, 06:59 PM
If the mandarin is eating frozen, tank transfer would take care of any potential crypto lurking in the gills.

MondoBongo
08/21/2014, 08:28 AM
out of curiosity, which LFS are you talking about?

i would echo the comments of the others here. my mandy is my only fish that i did not QT. not that i would advocate it, it's just what i did. it is a calculated risk, and it thankfully turned out well for me.

i have a much more detailed response here:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2433928

-edit-

although looking back at some of your other posts, it seems you have a fairly aggressive tank. puffers, triggers, and a moray, am i correct? i would be cautious about putting a mandy in with those types of roommates. i don't know that a mandy would fair well in a tank like that.

Ingasar
08/21/2014, 10:11 AM
Thanks for responding. I have a 250g fowler and a 250g reef. The mandarin goes in my reef.

MondoBongo
08/21/2014, 11:10 AM
oh that is fantastic. sounds like quite the setup. :)

Moort82
08/21/2014, 02:54 PM
I haven't seen anyone mention that they don't normally do particularly well with medication like copper, which is the actually reason they aren't qt not because the pods will die.

I would still qt but just observe it for a month or so.

Ingasar
08/24/2014, 02:15 PM
Well I drip acclimated him to the cu treated qt and about 6 hours later he wasn't looking good. He wasn't moving a whole lot. I decided to roll the dice and acclimate him to the reef tank. I had a low tolerance to do it from the beginning. Now a few days later he looks good. I'm still not getting him to eat mysis from my tongs but saw him eat a floating one. I think I have a healthy population of pods in the rt also.

snorvich
08/24/2014, 04:49 PM
Well I drip acclimated him to the cu treated qt and about 6 hours later he wasn't looking good. He wasn't moving a whole lot. I decided to roll the dice and acclimate him to the reef tank. I had a low tolerance to do it from the beginning. Now a few days later he looks good. I'm still not getting him to eat mysis from my tongs but saw him eat a floating one. I think I have a healthy population of pods in the rt also.

In your sized tank, assuming it is somewhat mature, you would not need to feed supplemental frozen.