PDA

View Full Version : Things needed for starting and maintaining corals

thakki
08/20/2014, 01:35 PM
Hello,

What are the things (tools, glue, acclimation solutions etc.,) needed for a new hobbyist to start and maintain corals? If this topic is covered in some other thread, please point me there. I am planning to order it online…please suggest the best place to get them with a good deal.

mbingha
08/20/2014, 01:39 PM
Read the stickies.

thegrun
08/20/2014, 02:27 PM
Test kits:
Calcium, alkalinity, magnesium, refractometer for salinity. Good lighting and water flow

thakki
08/20/2014, 03:36 PM
Thanks. I am going to order the test kits. I am using Instant Ocean Reef Crystals…should I think about ordering calcium, magnesium dosing now? or worry about it later.

Also, If someone can let me know the best glue, tools and putty for mounting the corals onto the rock will be helpful as well.

thakki
08/20/2014, 03:37 PM
Read the stickies.

I read through the stickies…might have missed it…could you please point me to the link?

Sk8r
08/20/2014, 03:44 PM
dirt-simple chemistry is the best help. It's in SETTING UP.
Be sure your light is adequate for the coral you want.
Don't mix lps with sps or softies: start simple: pick one type and stay with it.
Read in the various coral forums.
If you're going for either variety of stony coral or clams, start testing your water BEFORE you put a coral in. If they land in water that's friendly, they'll start unfolding much faster. Their defense against change or bad water is to tuck up.

Also!!! they come with parasites that will eat them all in your closed tank. Be sure to use an appropriate coral dip: stonies generally dip well and efficiently, but softies may take a few days of observation in a tank for critters that may survive a dip. And there is an sps pest, red bug, which are like tiny red dots, and I mean pin-point. Use a magnifying glass to look the corals over to be sure you're not dealing with that. If you get it, or suspect it, dip, observe a few days, re-examine, and dip again if you've still got a problem. Don't let it loose in your tank.