PDA

View Full Version : extremely confused and a little frustrated

Zacktosterone
08/20/2014, 08:07 PM
I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to setting this up. I share internet with my father in-law. His router is upstairs so I can't connect it directly. How do I connect my apex to my computer so I can use it to program my aquabus.

I've read the manule and it makes my head spin. I have no idea what I'm doing. I don't understand IP addresses or anything. I need some serious help. There's also this thing called fusion? I have no idea what that is but I need that setup as well. I feel like throwing this thing out the window.

kenargo
08/20/2014, 09:31 PM
If your internet connection is wireless (and you don't have an option to physically connect a network connector to the Apex) then your best bet would be to use a wireless game adapter. There are many threads discussing the setup and configuration of the various ones depending on which ones you can find for sale in your area.

Zacktosterone
08/20/2014, 09:32 PM
If your internet connection is wireless (and you don't have an option to physically connect a network connector to the Apex) then your best bet would be to use a wireless game adapter. There are many threads discussing the setup and configuration of the various ones depending on which ones you can find for sale in your area.
Wireless game adapotor? What?

pugcrush
08/20/2014, 09:55 PM
I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to setting this up. I share internet with my father in-law. His router is upstairs so I can't connect it directly. How do I connect my apex to my computer so I can use it to program my aquabus.

I've read the manule and it makes my head spin. I have no idea what I'm doing. I don't understand IP addresses or anything. I need some serious help. There's also this thing called fusion? I have no idea what that is but I need that setup as well. I feel like throwing this thing out the window.

I can understand that feeling. I did a ton of research (specifically hooking it all up) prior to my purchase. I bought it in June. I finally got free time to hook it all up a few weeks ago (wish I did it sooner!)

It was slightly frustrating, but it's not hard at all. Honestly! Fusion is easy to set up also.

I'm assuming yours is brand new? Otherwise, you will need Neptune's assistance in resetting.

Here's the steps you'd want to take:
1) Get it connected to your network (has to be hard wired to router). Use the Quick-start Network Guide (if you don't know, all the documentation you will ever need is located here: http://www.neptunesystems.com/support/docs/ , although there's some good pointers online if you look along with the Neptune forum on their site)
This will take under 10 min, even with reading the steps thoroughly 20 times.

2) Once your connected to the network, you COULD set up access to your Apex from outside your network with port forwarding via your router. Refer to the Advanced Networking Guide (this isn't required; you can use Fusion as a substitute)

3) You can set up Fusion by registering on the Neptune site, along with a token. Neptune's doc is pretty straight forward on this. Refer to Quick-start Apex Fusion Guide. You'll be up and running in 5 min.

You didn't mention anything about a wireless adapter. To be wireless, you'll want a bridge. Most users use Netgear WNCE2001 (myself included).

That's about it. Coding it is the fun part! Good luck!

Zacktosterone
08/20/2014, 10:00 PM
I can understand that feeling. I did a ton of research (specifically hooking it all up) prior to my purchase. I bought it in June. I finally got free time to hook it all up a few weeks ago (wish I did it sooner!)

It was slightly frustrating, but it's not hard at all. Honestly! Fusion is easy to set up also.

I'm assuming yours is brand new? Otherwise, you will need Neptune's assistance in resetting.

Here's the steps you'd want to take:
1) Get it connected to your network (has to be hard wired to router). Use the Quick-start Network Guide (if you don't know, all the documentation you will ever need is located here: http://www.neptunesystems.com/support/docs/ , although there's some good pointers online if you look along with the Neptune forum on their site)
This will take under 10 min, even with reading the steps thoroughly 20 times.

2) Once your connected to the network, you COULD set up access to your Apex from outside your network with port forwarding via your router. Refer to the Advanced Networking Guide (this isn't required; you can use Fusion as a substitute)

3) You can set up Fusion by registering on the Neptune site, along with a token. Neptune's doc is pretty straight forward on this. Refer to Quick-start Apex Fusion Guide. You'll be up and running in 5 min.

You didn't mention anything about a wireless adapter. To be wireless, you'll want a bridge. Most users use Netgear WNCE2001 (myself included).

That's about it. Coding it is the fun part! Good luck!

So on the topic of wireless adaptors. I can not hook up by wire to a router . my father in-law lives in an apartment up stairs. The wireless router is there. Does that mean that I get a netgear wnce2001? I can use an Ethernet cable to that? Then I can do everything that way?

avandss
08/20/2014, 10:25 PM
Did you try to use google for wireless game adaptor? Its basically a wireless ethernet jack you can use anywhere in the house

Also if you really aren't computer savy (I mean not at all), the apex is not the best idea. You will need to constantly depend on other people to help you

Mark Bianco
08/21/2014, 03:58 AM
Did you try to use google for wireless game adaptor? Its basically a wireless ethernet jack you can use anywhere in the house

Also if you really aren't computer savy (I mean not at all), the apex is not the best idea. You will need to constantly depend on other people to help you

Sorry to disagree, but for most reefers the wizards will do most if not all of the programming for you. I am old school and have not migrated yet to Fusion, but I have been told that's even easier to program.

To the OP The only thing you can not do with the wireless adaptor is updates.

Mark

Zacktosterone
08/21/2014, 04:12 AM
I keep reading that I can't update anything wirelessly. Is there a reason? But I can program everything by this wireless game adaptor?

spifftempo
08/21/2014, 06:01 AM
Neptune recently launched a "Getting Started Section"

http://www.neptunesystems.com/getstarted/

Picture walk-through and everything. Even a step that says, "ok, now add wireless." With that being said, you will really have a much easier time if you make a visit upstairs to your Father in law Apt, "Get Started" there being connected directly to the router. Then once you get that working, make it wireless with the WNCE and setup at your aquarium.

aleithol
08/21/2014, 06:40 AM
I keep reading that I can't update anything wirelessly. Is there a reason? But I can program everything by this wireless game adaptor?

True. Neptune does not support wireless updating of the controller and it's modules firmware when that is necessary. Never has. Some people get it to work, others do not heed Neptune's recommendation and have horrible and hard to diagnose failures that make them frustrated and complain when the process "seems to not be working". My simple words: The issue is simply that there is not enough "smarts" in the controller when it's in the state of updating it's own firmware to deal with every sort of problem that can occur if the ethernet connection fails for some reason, and there are likely more problems with wireless connection dependability than if it is using a hardwired connection.

What you could do is take your controller up and physically connect it to your father-in-law's router upon occasion when you need to update firmware. Once that is done, disconnect it and bring it down to your place where you plug it back into a wireless adapter for normal access to the internet and operation. Assuming your wireless connection is then decent from your place, you can do all your programming and daily use of the controller as needed over the air. That is what many people do that cannot have permanent hardwired ethernet connections.

rocsec1
08/21/2014, 06:48 AM
I was where you are two weeks ago and am by no means an expert. This is what I did.
I plugged the apex directly into the router to get it set up on the network and then I updated the firmware. You have to be directly plugged into the router to do this, you can't do it wirelessly, and the good news is this is the only thing you have to do with the apex directly plugged into the router. Then I got a wireless extender. It plugs into an outlet near the tank and I used the Ethernet plug on the extender and an Ethernet cable to connect my apex to the network. Not sure if that will work for you or not. I don't if it extends the signal by boosting the signal or somehow gets it over the house electrical wiring. Once I did this I had no problem reaching the Apex wirelessly with Fusion. From there I went to the Neptune section here and found all the help I could ask for with the programming. I was ready to sell the apex and keep using my RKL at first. Now I am really happy with the Apex. In fact I just order the Auto Leak Detector module and a sensor. I've had skimmer overflows that have dumped gallons of water on the floor. I am going to program the Apex to turn off the skimmer if it detects water.

TerenceF
08/21/2014, 07:58 AM
If you are confused on this or other setup questions, please go to www.neptunesystems.com/getstarted first. That may help.

Bainreese
08/26/2014, 06:20 PM
I just got done setting up my Apex this morning. I spent most of Sunday and a good portion of Monday getting it set up. Here is what I found. Since TerenceF seems to work for Neptune I hope this will, or has already, been addressed.

#1. There really should be a wire diagram in the box to show you how and where to connect each module. At the very least, if printing costs are an issue, a link DIRECTLY to the wonderful /getstarted section TerenceF linked to above. The only thing in the box was a four page 'Setup Guide' which didn't actually provide any instructions whatsoever. It simply explained what the Apex and each of its components actually does.

#2. After fumbling for a day and a half I finally broke down and emailed them as my Apex was hardwired to the Network and was seen by the updater but was failing to update. Turned out to be an IP address issue. Whoever did their email was wonderful and I was very pleased. I did try to exhaust ALL options including reading here before contacting them. I understand that tech support is costly, especially because so many people try to lean to heavily on it rather than problem solving. But that really does highlight the big need for more printed information being inside the $500+ box full of Neptune goodies.

#3. Once you actually get the update and sign into Fusion(www.apexfusion.com) and setup your account it is definitely a lot easier. Setting up the lights and heaters were a breeze. I used Bulk Reef Supply's tutorials as a 'back-up' instructor to supplement Neptune's Quick Start guide.

In the end the setup was more daunting than I had originally bargained for and I really did do a lot of homework prior to cracking the box open. However, once I was past that small learning curve I was able to roll through all the rest of the programing....show off my new doohickey to the wife...and will go home tonight resting easier knowing that if something goes wrong with my tank at the office....I'm going to be notified.

Wonderful product - Needs far better printed material to help at the outset. Suggested Wiring Schematic, Picture w/ name of item(Not everyone knows a temp probe from a pH probe just by looking), etc.