PDA

View Full Version : I need to start ordering fish

JMorris271
08/21/2014, 08:01 AM
I am at the point now that I can order fish. I need to get 3 QTs set up to receive that stock. Is the QT setup the same to do this as a Hospital tank?
I will be treating with Prazipo.
Thanks.

Jay

pyithar
08/21/2014, 08:08 AM
why don't you add a few at a time? if you add many at the same time, your system might not be able to handle the bioload right away imo. quarantine tanks and hospital tanks are pretty much the same.

Nina51
08/21/2014, 08:16 AM
how many fish do you plan on ordering and what kind? depending on the fish, you may only need one big qt rather than 3 smaller ones. what size is your dt?

dom418
08/21/2014, 08:34 AM
I would do one larger QT and he's it's similar to a hospital tank. My recommendation would be to hold off on the meds and just observe the fish. I think people get a little crazy with giving fish meds for a disease they may or may not have. That's like you taking cough medicine every day without any symptoms. I've never had to treat my fish, I simply observe and it's worked out fine.

JMorris271
08/21/2014, 08:36 AM
I have 1/20gal and 2/10 gal qt's will be adding fish about a week apart. Just want to save on shipping and have more to enjoy instead of one at a time. My LR has been cycling for 4 months now. 1 Watchman 1 gamma, and 1 wormfish. DT is 75.

pyithar
08/21/2014, 08:52 AM
i don't think you need 3 quarantine tanks for these 3 fish. jmo though. is wormfish the "curious wormfish" btw?

JMorris271
08/21/2014, 09:08 AM
i don't think you need 3 quarantine tanks for these 3 fish. jmo though. is wormfish the "curious wormfish" btw?
Yes it is. Very low key and everything safe.

JMorris271
08/21/2014, 09:15 AM
I would do one larger QT and he's it's similar to a hospital tank. My recommendation would be to hold off on the meds and just observe the fish. I think people get a little crazy with giving fish meds for a disease they may or may not have. That's like you taking cough medicine every day without any symptoms. I've never had to treat my fish, I simply observe and it's worked out fine.

How would you guard against ich? TT or Cupramine?

Dmorty217
08/21/2014, 09:23 AM
How would you guard against ich? TT?

This is the easiest and most efficient way to guard against ich in the least amount of time. Just setup the one QT for the 3 fish. I have all my fish in QT at the moment and am starting treatment with CP. In the 210g I have a orange shoulder, emperor, 3 pyramids, zebra moray, clown tang, regal angel, and my Quoyi. In the 75g plumbed with the 210g I have 2 potters, juv queen, multibar, Bellus female, Tomini and sargassum trigger... Point is just have plenty of PVC for hiding and you will be fine.

Dmorty217
08/21/2014, 09:27 AM
I forgot I have a juv tusk in the 75 too

oh207
08/21/2014, 09:27 AM
1 Watchman 1 gamma, and 1 wormfish. DT is 75.

I wouldn't use 3 separate QT for these 3 fish. You can put all 3 into the cycled 20g QT and treat there as needed. Prazipro is excellent choice for flukes. But you might want to decide on a plan for addressing ich.

pyithar
08/21/2014, 10:07 AM
some people don't like this way but i always use cupramine when quarantining new fish. i just don't wanna take the risk. some fish might not show symptons but still have ich. copper level maintained at 0.5 mg/L for four weeks pretty much clear all parasites up according to the seachem website faq.

JMorris271
08/21/2014, 10:32 AM
I wouldn't use 3 separate QT for these 3 fish. You can put all 3 into the cycled 20g QT and treat there as needed. Prazipro is excellent choice for flukes. But you might want to decide on a plan for addressing ich.
This would involve removing some LR and putting it into the 20 to have a cycled tank. A confusing issue for me is that in a sticky I read said that a QT tank should not be cycled and that ammonia should be controlled by water changes.
Clarification please.

Aussieiniowa
08/21/2014, 10:58 AM
Personally I would take it slow when adding fish ...... And do a few at a time .....ps dmorty I envy your fish selection

Anyhow when adding fish, you have to think about what works with each other and also what order you add them ....... If you add the right fish at the wrong time it can still be a failure.

Shawn O
08/21/2014, 11:09 AM
Are these fish less tolerant of copper? If not then you could do it with the 20 with no issues? If any of these fish are sensitive to copper you could try fresh water dips and the tank transfer method, from what I gather. Having a couple of spare pair 10gal tanks is pretty convenient, I'd say.

Cujo13
08/21/2014, 11:38 AM
This would involve removing some LR and putting it into the 20 to have a cycled tank. A confusing issue for me is that in a sticky I read said that a QT tank should not be cycled and that ammonia should be controlled by water changes.
Clarification please.

I would make sure that the QT, if not doing tank transfer method, is cycled. You can jump start it with Bio-Sphere. In tank transfer you would use something like Prime to take care the ammonia. Plus, it is only 3 days and ammonia usually is not an issue unless you have grazers that are going to eat a lot and thus produce a lot of waste. Ammonia is nasty on fish a few more days won't hurt. Two 10 gallons for TTM and a 20 gallon for 3 to 4 weeks observation after tank transfer and treat if needed. Perfect.

m0nkie
08/21/2014, 11:58 AM
Clarification please.

some people don't cycle QT because they treat it with copper. Once copper goes in, those rocks, bioballs, etc cannot be used in the main DT again.

you can do a quick Tank Transfer to get rid of ich. Use the two 10 gallons for that. After 12 days, you can put them in the 20 gallon for observation. the 20gal can be cycled so you don't have to do WC daily.

also some people don't cycle QT because they don't want to keep an empty tank running all year long.

JMorris271
08/21/2014, 12:16 PM
some people don't cycle QT because they treat it with copper. Once copper goes in, those rocks, bioballs, etc cannot be used in the main DT again.

you can do a quick Tank Transfer to get rid of ich. Use the two 10 gallons for that. After 12 days, you can put them in the 20 gallon for observation. the 20gal can be cycled so you don't have to do WC daily.

also some people don't cycle QT because they don't want to keep an empty tank running all year long.

Do you happen to remember the change frequency is that.? I saw it on a very good post a while back and thought I bookmarked but I guess not. Searches are not turning it up for me.

oh207
08/21/2014, 12:24 PM
Clarification please.

Sorry I wasn't clear. There should be absolutely no Live Rock or sand in a QT. They will absorb any medications that you could potentially have to use. And they can also serve as a place where parasites such as ich can bury and lay dormant. Instead, you can use filter floss. You can seed it in your sump for a few days/weeks, then transfer to QT to get things started.

shesacharmer
08/21/2014, 04:28 PM
Get an ammonia badge to tell you when to change water in your QT. It will save you many headaches. Due to Ich all of my fish are in QT together and so yes, I have to do water changes everyday but I'm not having any aggression issues due to multiple pieces of pvc for hiding places. My shy fish are actually interacting now with their more active tank mates. My QT is 25 gal.

JMorris271
08/21/2014, 06:58 PM
I have a badge coming with the Cup.and the Praz.
As this is a new setup, unfortunately I don't have a sump to aquire seed yet. The LFS's tanks look like ich repositories. I just can't go in there anymore.

JMorris271
08/22/2014, 09:39 AM
i have 1/20gal and 2/10 gal qt's will be adding fish about a week apart. Just want to save on shipping and have more to enjoy instead of one at a time. My lr has been cycling for 4 months now. 1 watchman 1 gamma, and 1 wormfish. Dt is 75.

This will be the QT area. :hmm5: and will go pick up another 20 and one more 10 gal.