PDA

View Full Version : Is there a Dr. in the house?

oscarmeir
08/24/2014, 02:48 PM
This showed up on a branching ginopora, I dipped it in Reef Dip and in Revive yesterday and today the rest opened up but that head is shut down. What gives?

oscarmeir
08/25/2014, 06:31 AM
Seriously? No one?

atrox
08/25/2014, 07:54 AM
Hard to make out in picture. Is there any exposed skeleton where the brown/green coloration is?

albano
08/25/2014, 08:11 AM
IMO, that's 'par for the course' for goniopora. Looks bleached out..
They are very hard to care for... If you want any chance of success I'd suggest aquacultured pieces from ORA or ReefGen

Dr.Brain Coral
08/25/2014, 11:36 AM
Yes there is. I think it looks bleached also.

Tweaked
08/25/2014, 12:46 PM
Well not par for the course when referring to gonipora. This however is its more delicate cousin alveopora. I have been unable to return any loss of skin as you are seeing and will more than likely continue. The white coloring is another sign of declining health and stress to the colony.

The aquacultured ref. is above is also my recommendation for allot of lps. JMO

oscarmeir
08/27/2014, 05:40 AM
Is there anything I can do to slow its deterioration?

Can you guys explain me another thing? My LFS insists that bleaching only happens on SPS not with LPS. And that lighter coloring on a LPS is not a reason to worry as you would on a hard coral. Clearly he's wrong. Any guesses as to what he meant by that?

Tweaked
08/27/2014, 07:59 AM
Bleaching is a term that is broadly used in our hobby and refers to many things. It can be from stress where a coral releases its zooxanthellae algae leaving the coral white in color. it can be from lack of nutrients, too much light, etc. All coral (animals) have the ability to display this whiting out look you refer to. I suggest you find a new LFS.

As far as your current piece. Get it to a medium light area, with medium flow and feed when possible. Test your params and keep them within recommended levels. If the tissue is gone from a spot, it is really tough to recover on a goni/alveo IME.

oscarmeir
08/27/2014, 12:46 PM
Should I remove that head? Will it spread?

Tweaked
08/27/2014, 12:58 PM
Nope, don't touch it if were still talking about the OP image. Looks fine just needs to be stress free and fed IMO. New growth can cover those areas, but will take time.

oscarmeir
08/27/2014, 01:16 PM
Ok. Thank you