PDA

View Full Version : Cheap overflow box?

clarityreef
08/24/2014, 10:23 PM
Hey Guys,
So I'm upgrading my filtration system to a sump based one. Im currently using an AC hang on and it is not enough to handle bioload. I keep mainly lps corals and have 2 clowns.
I don't want to drill my tank (25 gal) so I have decided to add an overflow box instead attached to a 10g sump, which I'm in the process of building.
Does anyone know where I can find a suitable, reliable overflow box for my tank, without breaking the bank. Not many options in Australia so I'm happy to go international.
I honestly cant believe how much the CPR and eshopps overflow boxes cost > $100. Is it only me who thinks they are expensive?

toothybugs
08/25/2014, 09:36 AM
Type "Overflow box" in to Google and see what comes up. Lots of options. I went with a cheap one once (aquatrad...) and it needed a little silicone to seal off the back, otherwise it was a great value.

Percula9
08/26/2014, 08:55 PM
I took a hang on box filter and drilled a hole in the back for a bulk head. The filter pulls the water into the box and out the back and into my sump.

Ikserk
08/28/2014, 12:09 PM
I took a hang on box filter and drilled a hole in the back for a bulk head. The filter pulls the water into the box and out the back and into my sump.

In this setup, I would make sure to test the scenario where the HOB filter's pump looses power and the sump's return pump continues to pump water into the display tank

The other balancing act is that the HOB filter pump has to be pumping the exact same amount of water as the sump's return pump. otherwise (eventually) the sump's pump will run dry or the display tank will overfill.

In my opinion, this setup is doubly worse than any off the shelf HOB overflow.

ipKonfig
08/28/2014, 02:30 PM

This is just asking for a flood.

Hey Guys,
So I'm upgrading my filtration system to a sump based one. Im currently using an AC hang on and it is not enough to handle bioload. I keep mainly lps corals and have 2 clowns.
I don't want to drill my tank (25 gal) so I have decided to add an overflow box instead attached to a 10g sump, which I'm in the process of building.
Does anyone know where I can find a suitable, reliable overflow box for my tank, without breaking the bank. Not many options in Australia so I'm happy to go international.
I honestly cant believe how much the CPR and eshopps overflow boxes cost > $100. Is it only me who thinks they are expensive?

I believe one of the more popular HOB overflows are made by Eshopps, I wouldn't "cheap out" when you are risking damage to livestock or property. Keep in mind HOB overflows come with an inherent risk of overflowing the tank.

miatawnt2b
08/28/2014, 02:46 PM
what ipconfig said. I really like my eshopps overflow. It must be paired with a JBJ ATO with a float on the inside box that will shut down your return pump for it to be safe.

clarityreef
08/29/2014, 02:01 AM
what ipconfig said. I really like my eshopps overflow. It must be paired with a JBJ ATO with a float on the inside box that will shut down your return pump for it to be safe.

I like the idea of pairing the return with an ATO in case of loss of siphoning. Ive have seen forums talking about making adjustment to the wiring of the ATO devices... etc
It may be obvious but how would I go about doing this?

miatawnt2b
08/29/2014, 12:18 PM
I like the idea of pairing the return with an ATO in case of loss of siphoning. Ive have seen forums talking about making adjustment to the wiring of the ATO devices... etc
It may be obvious but how would I go about doing this?

The JBJ with one float switch can run in simple on-off mode. no rewiring required. It's not just a loss of siphon you need to worry about. In fact I have never lost siphon with my eshopps and a properly sized overflow tube. What you do need to worry about is a slow down of flow due to algae growth in teh tube, or a critter blocking the siphon.

A properly sized overflow tube will push any air bubbles through. When you start to see problems with air and siphon breaks is when there is too little flow through the tube/overflow.

zachts
08/30/2014, 10:14 AM
You can pretty easily make one just as reliable as the Eshopps using some acrylic, a bulkhead, and a U-tube. It doesn't have to be as sleek and pretty to work, just water tight and solid. alternatively search ebay for the acrylic boxes pre-made if you don't want to make them yourself.

You might find some cheap ones on ebay also, just go for the type with a removable U-tube not the molded in acrylic siphon. I've been running a modified tom-aquatics for about 5 years now and am happy with it, but not the stock design, got it for $35 as it was missing some parts. The built in return line is a nice feature on those.

guric1van
09/02/2014, 02:18 AM
I bought one off fish-street.com for about $40 and it's great. Amazing quality for the price.

I have bought a few things from there, some of it has been junk, but most has been a great purchase.