PDA

View Full Version : DIY upgrade of everything on my 30g tank

steve1981
08/25/2014, 12:44 PM
Hi all. New to the forum and after some advice please.

I currently have a Juwel Rio 125 which I have converted to saltwater with current contents of just live rock, two powerheads, twin T8's and housing a couple of clowns and a damsel (which I plan to get rid of after the conversion as he is a PITA)

The plan is to upgrade it as best I can, on a budget so that i can improve the quality of my water and to allow me to keep some basic corals. I am not gonna be running a massive complex system with only a just under 30 gallon tank, but want the best I can and want it to be a project.

The plan is...
1. upgrade lighting to a quad t5 with a customised modification to the original lighting unit and installation of home made aluminium reflectors.
2. Remove the Juwel black box where the old filter used to sit.
3. Install a custom built sump in the cabinet below (this is where I need the main help) to house a new skimmer and other bits that I need.

I plan on having a go at an 'overflow' design of which there are loads of tutorials on youtube for getting the water down to the sump using 22mm PVC tubing. I will obviously be taking into account the rare occurrence of power failure or some other flow problem so will be measuring and balancing the water levels so that neither could overflow at any point.

I plan on documenting the whole thing and will probably try and post the progress for other marine beginners who might find it helpful.

Now for my questions if you don't mind...
1. Should I incorporate a refugium to the sump and if so, what stye best stuff to add? eg. deep sand bed, LR, chaeto?

2. Do you think the below design would work? (attached sketch)

As I say, it is only a 30 gallon tank and I plan to do the best I can do with what I've got and after measuring the space under the cabinet I only have enough space for a sump that is about 500mm wide by 250mm deep.?

I look forward to your replies and I can't wait to get started.

http://s14.postimg.org/u838990n1/sump3.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/u838990n1/)

steve1981
08/27/2014, 11:26 AM
Thanks everyone