PDA

View Full Version : Directionally challenged: WHICH direction do you---

Sk8r
08/25/2014, 02:13 PM
pull the cylinder wrench to unscrew a ro/di filter cylinder, assuming the thing is on the wall facing you? Do you pull it to your right (counter-clockwise) or to the left (clockwise)?

TruReef
08/25/2014, 02:22 PM
Assuming you are looking at the unit from the front you should start off with the handle of the wrench rotated as far to your right as possible. The old adage “lefty loosey, righty tighty” is still valid here but it can be easy to confuse because you’re often looking at it a little upside down. Next rotate the wrench to the left.

RocketEngineer
08/25/2014, 02:22 PM
Place the handle to the right side of the cylinder and pull.

You have been in the hobby how long? ;)

thegrun
08/25/2014, 02:41 PM
Place the handle to the right side of the cylinder and pull.

You have been in the hobby how long? ;)

Ouch!!!!

thegrun
08/25/2014, 02:42 PM
If one way doesn't work it must go in the opposite direction!

wolfblue
08/25/2014, 02:46 PM

That one works for me half the time...

snorvich
08/25/2014, 02:47 PM

Exactly. That is what I do and never had a problem. (counter clockwise is loose)

Sk8r
08/25/2014, 02:59 PM
LOl--my kindly fish store guy USED to do this for me---but nowadays I'm on my own, and I deal often enough with things that do opposite to standard that I get confused. Not to mention I have a basic east-west problem. NEVER ask me which coast I'm on!

I can assemble a computer or plumb a bathroom (you can fidget with those connections until you figure it! ;) if somebody ELSE has taken it apart ) It's when I'm trying to apply a wrench to a bolt or connection that's been there a while that my brain goes on mental overload. Doh! Dunno how many times I've brutally tightened something I'm trying to take undone!

But I figure there's no sense pretending I don't screw things up when I should be screwing them down! Thank you all! I called the company that sold it, but THEIR guy first said one thing and then the other, so by then I was royally unsure. THANK YOU ALL!

disc1
08/25/2014, 03:06 PM
Just look this way sk8r. The cartridge I the nut and the little stub it is screwed onto is the bolt. So you have to think about looking at it upside down. Or think looking up at it from the bottom. Now it is lefty-loosey. Looking at it from the top is like facing someone and you have to use "your other left".

Ok now that I wrote it it looks even more confusing. HTH.

Sk8r
08/25/2014, 04:26 PM
Lol!
Well, I can report I got it!
With a little help from my friends!

phillrodrigo
08/25/2014, 05:47 PM
I'm usually pretty good about direction of a bolt or anything threaded but sometimes you get in a weird position and get lost. I did my mom's brakes a few weeks back and got most of the way through and got to the last 2 nuts that were on the opposite side. I ended up tightening them so tight I had to pull out a bigger ratchet. Sometimes I my brain just does stupid things. I've also done this on my reactor which is inside my stand and hard to get to

Greg 45
08/25/2014, 06:22 PM
lefty loosie
righty tighty
over tight broken
too loose falling off

crn005
08/25/2014, 06:44 PM
Lol!
Well, I can report I got it!
With a little help from my friends!

You get by with a little help from your friends...
You get high with a little help with your friends....

:spin1: