PDA

View Full Version : Taking out SPS frags/Zoanthids out of the US

damura
08/26/2014, 02:47 PM
Hi Everyone,

I will soon visit the US and will surely visit Vivid aquarium which i heard is the best reef shop in LA. If I want to take some samples with me outside the US, is it ok? legal? do i need documentation?

Thanks!

Fish Biscuit
08/26/2014, 03:49 PM
You are going to need to work with Fish & Wildlife. You most likely will need an import/export permit & it will have to be taken to their office for export clearance. You will also need a Cites declaration definitely for the SPS & the zoas if they are on live rock, if they are on a cultured substrate you will be ok but I don't know how you go about proving that.

In Israel you will have to clear with Customs & your version of Fish & Wildlife. This is going to cost you far more $$ than it's worth for the corals. I'm not completely sure but I think the Cites declaration alone will cost at least $200.

o2manyfish
08/27/2014, 01:42 AM
Cities permit, export permit and health certificate all add up (100's of dollars). And you can't walk into an office to get the permits. You have to submit them in advance and the turn around time is months.

Dave B