PDA

View Full Version : QT Cloudy

DrBoxedWine
08/26/2014, 04:46 PM
Hi All,

My QT tank has been cycling with ammonia and RODI water for about 6 weeks now. The past 3 weeks or so, the water has been pretty cloudy. Parameters are as follows:

Ammonia: 0 (or i think, going to take it up to my LFS tonight and have them test it. those stupid api tests are hard to tell when it's 0 and when it's .25) It goes from 3 ppm to "ehhh could be 0 or could be low in about 18 hours, so i'm guessing it's really 0, since even 12 hours after that, it's still unclear.
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 25
PH: 7.8 (and a swing to 8.4 at night, and that's just from the ambient room light!)
KH: 5-8 API test isn't great, hard to tell. I need to boost this and will be using baking soda, probably going to bake it first.

I added a Lawnmower Blenny the other night, and he died within 48 hours. He was my first fish, and it sounds like i should have gone with an easier one. I'd love to go get a firefish tonight, but i'm nervous about the tank not being hospitable.

I've seen other posts with people talking about the cloudiness, and it seems like it just goes away and is safe for fish, but i wanted to make sure no one sees any potential issues here.

lagatbezan
08/26/2014, 04:57 PM
Personally I would drain it, clean it and then reuse it. Who knows what parasites or diseases your first fish died from but you wouldn't want to risk having it in the tank while you add a new fish.
Also get some prime and an ammonia badge. They are great for qt. just make sure not to use prime if treating with copper.

DrBoxedWine
08/27/2014, 09:33 AM
Thanks. Took my water into the Lfs to get their take on my problem, turns out my ph and kh were extremely low 😕. I was hoping to get another fish, and the guy at the shop said I needed to go home, get those up and stable, then come back this weekend. An LFS employee who actually talked me into being patient, imagine that!

whosurcaddie
08/27/2014, 11:49 AM
Thanks. Took my water into the Lfs to get their take on my problem, turns out my ph and kh were extremely low 😕. I was hoping to get another fish, and the guy at the shop said I needed to go home, get those up and stable, then come back this weekend. An LFS employee who actually talked me into being patient, imagine that!

Thats a good store I would stick with them.