PDA

View Full Version : New to hobby

Underwoo
08/26/2014, 08:46 PM
Hi I'm new to the hobby. I'm starting an 80 gal Rimless tank build and would like to know,if i should lay anything on the top of the stand before I place the tank on it?. Any advice or suggestion would be appreciated.
thx

Titans_Reef
08/27/2014, 12:44 AM
I do not know what you mean by, "if i should lay anything on the top of the stand before I place the tank on it?" Usually if the stand is made for the tank then no you dont need to. Check if the floor is level by checking the stand and add shims to the bottom of the stand if it is not level.

pyithar
08/27/2014, 02:36 AM
i think what the op meant is if he/she should put a mat or some sort between the tank and the surface of the stand where the tank will be sitting. many people use foams because they're afraid some grains of sand, dust might be trapped between the tank and surface(plywood?) and causing stress points. people use white foams(styrofoam) might promote mold growth if water get into it, black foams(rubber base so do not absorb water as they say), and pink foams(closed cells stuff so might not absorb water, i'm not sure what it is made of though). my stand is a diy stand. i use plywood as surface and lay a styrofoam on the surface before placing the tank on it.

Newsmyrna80
08/27/2014, 04:46 AM
I put a piece of plywood painted with a marine based paint (for boats) that repels water on top of the stand. I've seen some people put a piece of granite or corian countertop on the stand as well.

Jimbo530
08/27/2014, 09:59 AM
if your stand wont damage your tank and is spill resistant it is good to use as is. if you need to cover or modify the stand do so.

Underwoo
08/27/2014, 10:05 PM
Thanks for your advice.