PDA

View Full Version : Larger Tanks - How Do You Clean Your Rocks Off

nuxx
08/28/2014, 02:34 PM
Hey guys,

Just curious what you use to clean your rocks off with?

Having problems finding any basters longer than 12-18".

Any interesting solutions?

Tank's 31" tall, so 12-18" isn't going to cut it...

biomek
08/28/2014, 02:45 PM
i typically just adjust my powerheads if necessary but my tanks not quite your size lol

nuxx
08/28/2014, 02:50 PM
Thanks Todd :)

Took me a month or two to dial my powerheads in... seems if I slightly move one I'll have sand dunes the next morning.

I'm even nervous about taking them out to clean them... will probably take pictures so I can get them as close to where they were when I take each out.

leveldrummer
08/28/2014, 02:51 PM
mount a powerhead onto an acrylic rod and use it to blow the rocks off.

nuxx
08/28/2014, 02:53 PM
mount a powerhead onto an acrylic rod and use it to blow the rocks off.

I've thought about that :)

Anyone have a pic of theirs?

Also, what would be a good strength PH? Not too strong, not too weak...

AcroporAddict
08/28/2014, 03:18 PM
I have a MaxiJet 1200, and I took a 15" length piece of PEX tubing with an ID close, but not quite as wide as the output nozzle output, softened it in a flame, and slid it over the end of the Maxijet output. Helps reach the far away rock in my 465.

64Ivy
08/28/2014, 03:30 PM
An old Ehiem pump and a long section of tubing which I run from my sump to the tank. Also, I always use my hands to aim and guide the hose as they not only give me more control, but with a bit of crimping, I can vary the flow around corals and such.

Zalick
08/28/2014, 03:43 PM
I have a MaxiJet 1200, and I took a 15" length piece of PEX tubing with an ID close, but not quite as wide as the output nozzle output, softened it in a flame, and slid it over the end of the Maxijet output. Helps reach the far away rock in my 465.

This is exactly what I do down to the same pump. Works amazing.

805reef
08/28/2014, 03:45 PM
how about this http://www.marinedepot.com/Kent_Marine_Sea_Squirt_Feeder_Coral_Feeders-Kent_Marine-KM2711-FIFDFECR-vi.html

or this http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem.aspx?idProduct=TA01457&child=TA01023

nuxx
08/28/2014, 04:14 PM
Thanks guys :)

I have a lot of MJ1200s laying around... might try to mock something up with one of those :)

Zalick
08/28/2014, 04:36 PM

I have a lot of MJ1200s laying around... might try to mock something up with one of those :)

That's how I decided to make mine too. I use it to blow out the bottom of my sump too. Kinda the duct tape of the reef world!

nuxx
08/28/2014, 04:37 PM
That's how I decided to make mine too. I use it to blow out the bottom of my sump too. Kinda the duct tape of the reef world!

Nah that's zip ties ;)

ca1ore
08/28/2014, 08:26 PM
I guess I'd ask why it is you need to be blowing stuff off your rocks? OK, my tank is just a tiny old 265, but Its something I have never found it necessary to do - nothing builds up on the rocks.

slief
08/28/2014, 08:51 PM
How do I clean my rocks??? In the shower with a bar of Caress.... :cool:

In my tank, I never clean my rocks.. Between the high flow, flush cycles/profiles with my Tunze's that kick in several times a day and stir the tank up keeping stuff from settling, along with all the fish picking at the rocks, it's not an issue. I also run filter socks sock when the Tunze's start blasting one side at a time, most everything that's kicked up is sent into the overflow down into the socks.

nuxx
08/28/2014, 08:56 PM
I do have two Ctenochaetus Tangs, a Chevron and Tomini :)

2 Wp60s and 4 wp40s plus the returns.

I don't see build up, just want to be proactive...

ca1ore
08/28/2014, 09:22 PM
I think you may find that it is unnecessary. My tank has been up for almost a year and I get no buildup at all. You've gots lots of flow, and the chevie is a world class rock scrubber.

RocketEngineer
08/29/2014, 08:56 AM
I use a MJ900 with a SureFlo propeller kit that is zip tied to a piece of PVC with a flat cut out of one end. The flat makes sure propeller points where I want, letting me twist it around pushing crud out of surprising spaces.

nuxx
08/29/2014, 09:31 AM

I guess I'll just stick a powerhead in there and see if anything blows off. If so, then I'll mock something up.

The Chevron and Cleaner Wrasse (?!?!?!) eat everything. Saw them both cleaning off some hair algae on a powerhead cable a few days ago.

biomek
08/29/2014, 10:58 AM
if your worried about losing the location of your powerheads if you remove them for clearing, use a dry erase marker on the glass (not sure about acrylic) to mark around the base from the outside. then wipe clean after you put them back in place. i love the things. i use the markers to put dates on my 10g TT tanks so i don't have to remember them, log anything i'm testing for etc. just take caution that you don't have kids who can wipe it all off lol

nuxx
08/29/2014, 11:01 AM
if your worried about losing the location of your powerheads if you remove them for clearing, use a dry erase marker on the glass (not sure about acrylic) to mark around the base from the outside. then wipe clean after you put them back in place. i love the things. i use the markers to put dates on my 10g TT tanks so i don't have to remember them, log anything i'm testing for etc. just take caution that you don't have kids who can wipe it all off lol

Thanks Todd.

The mounts will stay in place, inner and outer magnets.

It's more about where the actual powerhead is pointing. Since they are Jebao WPs, I can just remove the powerhead, leaving the bases in place.

Dmorty217
08/29/2014, 11:01 AM
You just need to add more flow. That way you never have to make up some stick/powerhead contraption with duct tape...

MBMAX
08/29/2014, 11:03 AM

+1 with the maxijet and a long hose and a valve to control the flow.

nuxx
08/29/2014, 11:07 AM
You just need to add more flow. That way you never have to make up some stick/powerhead contraption with duct tape...

Would having two powerheads running up to 5300 GPH and four powerheads running up to 3400 GPH all running in random mode be enough? Also two returns running at 2400 GPH (@ 0 head) each.