PDA

View Full Version : Another Tank Weight/Floor Question

Fade2White12
08/28/2014, 04:36 PM
Hey all,

I recently purchased an 85g rimless (around 36x24") aquarium and stand with sump, and I have a quick question about the weight and floor supports.

Everyone I've talked to, including a contractor buddy, said it's 100% fine as is, but just wanted to get the collective input from you guys.

Tank will be against an external wall, on 2x10" joists @ 16". The only problem is that the joists run parallel, so I'll likely only span two joists. However, the tank will also be extremely close to a perpendicular steel I-beam that runs the length, and a portion may actually be on it (hard to tell completely with the finished basement).

So considering the size of the joists, the external load bearing wall, and the I-beam (not to mention the setup isn't enormous by any means), I'm more than safe, right? Btw, house was built 9 years ago.

Thanks!

billdogg
08/28/2014, 05:03 PM
I wouldn't worry about it at all. Once you get to the 150g+ range, then pay more attention.

kegogut
08/28/2014, 05:03 PM
Here ya go,a good read that I just passed on to someone else.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/aquarium_weight.php

JMorris271
08/28/2014, 07:02 PM
Very good article. Consult a pro when in doubt and your insurance agent. You'll be glad you did.

Big_Boss_77
08/28/2014, 08:14 PM
If at all possible I'd either center it over the perpendicular I-beam or run the floor joists perpendicular. Not saying it's not going to work the other way, just saying that the more support you can get for them the better!

Fade2White12
08/29/2014, 07:00 AM
I wouldn't worry about it at all. Once you get to the 150g+ range, then pay more attention.

And that's what I was thinking too. Thanks!

Here ya go,a good read that I just passed on to someone else.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/aquarium_weight.php

Thanks so much! That is TONS of information, and I now know a heck of a lot more than I did. The problem is that it still raises some of the same questions.

Again, it suggests perpendicular floor joists, near a load bearing wall or column, at the beginning of the joist span. My tank will have to be parallel to the floor joists (-), but it is right at the intersection of a load bearing wall (+) and the steel I-beam (+), and thus right at the beginning of the joist span (+). Three out of four (in the perfect scenario) has to be good enough, right, especially considering the size of setup?

If at all possible I'd either center it over the perpendicular I-beam or run the floor joists perpendicular. Not saying it's not going to work the other way, just saying that the more support you can get for them the better!

Unfortunately, I can't put it anywhere else in the house. There is one wall, and one wall only, where I can put it. Otherwise it would have to go in the basement or on the second floor, which I really don't want to do.

Just as a quick drawing, you can see exactly what I'm talking about. The green line is the steel I-beam, the thick black line is the perimeter of the house, and the blue box is the tank. Again, I can't be sure if the I-beam is under the tank slightly or not, but in this drawing, it shows the worst case scenario. I would just shift it over and center the tank under the I-beam if possible, but there is a partition there separating the living room from the kitchen.

http://s24.postimg.org/i0gkeql6t/Hizzy.png

Big_Boss_77
08/29/2014, 07:02 AM
Yeah, I get that. I wasn't saying it wouldn't work, just saying best case scenario. It's all good though, they close to a support beam I'd say you'll be fine

JMorris271
08/29/2014, 10:34 AM
My joists run about 16 inches off center . I need to position my 120 tank+ 40 gal sump the same location and way as the OP does. I have crawl space an am thinking of running 2x8's supported by same standing on solid concrete block. these will be vertically bracing the 60" 2x8 the width of the tank. Would this make a dent in the load?

Big_Boss_77
08/30/2014, 12:29 AM
I think I get what you're saying Jmorris, but I'd go a few beyond the edges of the tank just to tie in that much more. I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to floor strength though. I just had to redo the ENTIRE subfloor in my house cause me and my tank about went through it. Learned I had a lot of rotten joists throughout the house, but that's neither here nor there. Everything I've ever added bracing for though, we added at least one extra joist on the end of the run and then sistered it all together.