PDA

View Full Version : Mandarin Dragonet too Fat?

ahmed_iAM
08/28/2014, 09:04 PM
I'm worried my Mandarin is too fat for his own good. It almost looks pregnant. 289222

How big of an issue is this? I avoid cleaning the bottom 12" of the back glass so I guess that'd how a keep that many pods. The picture points to the belly. I'll post another picture if I can get a good angle on it.

HumbleFish
08/28/2014, 09:44 PM
Can't tell anything for sure from the pic. Most people would be happy to have a fat mandy. Unless it's intestinal blockage. :(

MondoBongo
08/29/2014, 09:15 AM
it's hard to tell from the picture, but have you seen the pictures Paul B. has posted of his mandy carrying eggs?

assuming yours is a female, she could be gravid? there is a concern she could become egg bound, but often they are able to release these on their own during spawning.

i have heard anecdotal reports of people using epsom salt baths to some effect to help release egg bound dragonets, however before trying anything like this, please verify the diagnosis and the treatment explicitly.

is she acting normal?

how long has she been this large?

how long did it take for her to get this large? was it just over night or has this been a slow progression?

is she the only mandy in the tank?

ahmed_iAM
08/30/2014, 12:36 PM
it's hard to tell from the picture, but have you seen the pictures Paul B. has posted of his mandy carrying eggs?

assuming yours is a female, she could be gravid? there is a concern she could become egg bound, but often they are able to release these on their own during spawning.

i have heard anecdotal reports of people using epsom salt baths to some effect to help release egg bound dragonets, however before trying anything like this, please verify the diagnosis and the treatment explicitly.

is she acting normal?

how long has she been this large?

how long did it take for her to get this large? was it just over night or has this been a slow progression?

is she the only mandy in the tank?
She's been fat for a while, the belly has become rounder over the past two weeks. She's been the only Mandarin the system for 6 months. I will keep an eye on it over the following week.

MondoBongo
09/03/2014, 04:44 PM
How is she doing?

ahmed_iAM
09/07/2014, 12:17 AM
Great! Still the same size. Doesn't appear to be any intestinal blockage. Think I was just worried it was obese.

MondoBongo
09/07/2014, 11:26 AM
Well that's good to hear! Best wishes to her.