PDA

View Full Version : Sun coral frag

IndyMatt
08/29/2014, 08:42 PM
I cannot get this bad boy to open. I have been feeding reef frenzy and cyclopeeze at night to try to get a reaction. Nothing so far...I got this frag from a local shop. Nothing is working currently, had it a little over a week.

Tips? How long should it take to have them open?

Matt

noy
08/30/2014, 07:21 AM
I cannot get this bad boy to open. I have been feeding reef frenzy and cyclopeeze at night to try to get a reaction. Nothing so far...I got this frag from a local shop. Nothing is working currently, had it a little over a week.

Tips? How long should it take to have them open?

Matt

what type of sun corals is it? If its a cold water species they are very stubborn (and some just don't open). Post a pic.

They should open after adjusting to your water parameters - probably a day at most. Make sure you have some flow on it.

I find they don't react to coral foods - try something smelly - like the juice from a Mysis cube. I use this angelfish feed stuff. Squirt it at the coral using a turkey baster or a squirt type feeder.

I have a thread on there on sun corals in it I have some tips on getting them to open.

Tzwizzle
08/30/2014, 09:07 AM
I'm no expert but I did have trouble getting my sun coral to eat. What eventually worked for me was I would pull it out daily and put it in a 2x2" Tupperware container and then soak it in Mysis and zooplankton. Occasionally blowing or stirring the food to get it directly on top of the coral. Initially I got very little polyp extension but just enough for it to get some food after soaking for 30 min- hour.

My thinking is that if they are starving they do not have enough energy to extend their polyps and it's a downward spiral.

Once they start to become more healthy I found that high flow tends to stimulate the feeding response. Now mine is healthy and will usually extend polyps after I feed my fish. Then I just blow some Mysis on the coral every couple days and so far it seems to be doing well. Best of luck!

_divad
08/30/2014, 11:19 AM
I agree with Tzwizzle. Exactly what I do when I get a new Sun Coral. Has worked every time for me so far.

IndyMatt
08/30/2014, 08:18 PM
Thanks guys I will give that a try.

Torture
09/02/2014, 07:44 AM
did you had any luck?
I have had mine for some weeks now, at first it was eating like a champ. I started with frozen brine shrimp, then moved on to a paste I had prepared, and then to shrimps.
After 2 or 3 times eating chopped shrimps, it just wonīt open.
Polips are full and stretched, but not opening.
Any ideas? itīs my first sun.

IndyMatt
09/02/2014, 10:55 AM
No luck guys, not sure what else to try.

Torture
09/03/2014, 07:47 AM
I was talking to a couple fellow reefers yesterday and think I might have an idea about what was causing my problem.
I started adding VSV to lower my nitrates, I was on 30, after a week I was on 8.
Didnīt add the dose yesterday, and already some polips started opening.
Will stop it for a couple of days, if they open, well that was it.

Are you adding something Matt?

IndyMatt
09/03/2014, 08:00 AM
Nope, not sure it was the most healthy specimen to start off with.

I put the sun coral in a tupperware dish and put some reef frenzy in there with it. Nothing not even a twitch.

Reef Frog
09/03/2014, 01:32 PM
Post #8
Torture

I'll bet you were feeding it quite frequently. IME they can seem to eat enough until the point their gut is full. It will eventually expel the waste and will eat again. If the polyps are plump, you should be fine.

I have read posts on this forum where people have said that suns & dendros can be over fed to the point where food rots in the digestive tract. Never experienced this myself but do believe some new owners tend to feed more than is necessary. I did when I first got into these corals.

Newsmyrna80
09/04/2014, 07:26 AM
Nope, not sure it was the most healthy specimen to start off with.

I put the sun coral in a tupperware dish and put some reef frenzy in there with it. Nothing not even a twitch.

How often have you done this? You may have to do this everyday for several days.

Torture
09/04/2014, 09:16 AM
Post #8
Torture

I'll bet you were feeding it quite frequently. IME they can seem to eat enough until the point their gut is full. It will eventually expel the waste and will eat again. If the polyps are plump, you should be fine.

I have read posts on this forum where people have said that suns & dendros can be over fed to the point where food rots in the digestive tract. Never experienced this myself but do believe some new owners tend to feed more than is necessary. I did when I first got into these corals.

well, that could very well be the case.
I fed it every other day, but when you think about it, the smallest I can cut a shrimp, is like eating probably 30 pounds of shrimp for us.

I read a lot about them, and they used to feed it every day, guess brine shrimps not shrimps.

IndyMatt
09/04/2014, 02:04 PM
How often have you done this? You may have to do this everyday for several days.

I will keep at it, I tried it once and no response. I will try again tonight and everyday over the next week or so and report back.

Torture
09/04/2014, 08:03 PM
good news.
mine is starting to open.
guess it was too much food then.

What do you usually feed them?

Matt, keep trying, it is an outstanding piece of nature.
Can you post a picture see what the status is?

Tzwizzle
09/04/2014, 08:24 PM
Ive found Mysis gets the best reaction. Also I put mine in the sump with the lights off for an hour or so. Occasionally blowing the food around with a pipet. While they are non photosynthetic, they are aware when the lights are on and tend to feed more in the evening. Give that a shot

IndyMatt
09/06/2014, 07:50 PM
It's eating! No crazy yellow polyps yet though. I simply placed mysis on the mouths and it ate. You can see the yellow tips just barely poking out.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a270/RiverSmallie/imagejpg1_zps5f70d264.jpg (http://s13.photobucket.com/user/RiverSmallie/media/imagejpg1_zps5f70d264.jpg.html)

Tzwizzle
09/07/2014, 03:36 PM
Sweet deal. Keep doing that for a few days and I think you'll be able to rejuvenate it.

Torture
09/07/2014, 08:49 PM
great news!
keep it up and you will just fall in love with that one when it is fully open.
mine just got better and it is opening completely for the first time in a week.
really happy here.

IndyMatt
09/15/2014, 01:06 PM
It is pretty much back, polyps extend once the actinics come on! Looks awesome, just needed a little TLC.

luamada
09/15/2014, 09:52 PM
i just got one with the same problem. got him four days ago and it didnt eat yet. today it expended a little... keep us posted please. i am following :-))

IndyMatt
09/18/2014, 07:21 PM
That is actually much better than mine was! It was sunken in and not expanding at all. Took tweezers and feed each head by placing a mysis shrimp on it.

Mine is about where yours is now.

trae
09/18/2014, 07:37 PM
I would love to see the growth on this down the line. Subscribed

noy
09/18/2014, 08:19 PM
i just got one with the same problem. got him four days ago and it didnt eat yet. today it expended a little... keep us posted please. i am following :-))

try this (its a page from the 2013-Q4 version of reefhobbyistmagazine)