PDA

View Full Version : Just went topless on BC29

ajt12
08/31/2014, 10:44 AM
Added a Kessil 350w, Hydor skimmer and an autotopoff.com ATO. Brutal couple of days of upgrading.

http://youtu.be/8dmHEyRBQdY (video looks horrible unless you choose the 720p HD option)

Close up of gig http://youtu.be/DXeMXc2PGOc

Flippers4pups
08/31/2014, 11:03 AM
Any fish? If so, screen that puppy! Nice tank!

necrio
08/31/2014, 06:34 PM
I once went topless. I hated it. I swore to never do it again. So, when I got my BC29, I cut a hole in it for my reefbreeder nano lite light. Never looked back. There is never any evap and all parameters stay virtually perfect because of it.

Before, I was struggling keeping corals because of the crazy evap. Now, things grow and thrive.

NYC/NJREEFS
09/04/2014, 01:47 AM
Looks nice, I've been contemplating going topless on my RSM-130d. I was thinking of ordering an acrylic piece to cover the skimmer and filtration area on the back and hanging one Radion Pro over it. However, I like the gooseneck and Kessil avoids hanging stuff from the ceiling. Keep us updated how is the evaporation affected and growth with the upgraded lighting.

ajt12
09/04/2014, 11:14 PM
I have an ATO, so evaporation is not an issue.

blackradon
09/05/2014, 02:12 PM
What light was in your hood, I'm trying to decide to go led or no. Not to sure if I want to go topless as it is super dry here in alberta. Unless I get an ATO of course. Looks like a nice set up you have!

Thoughts on the light thus far?

ajt12
09/05/2014, 09:21 PM
What light was in your hood, I'm trying to decide to go led or no. Not to sure if I want to go topless as it is super dry here in alberta. Unless I get an ATO of course. Looks like a nice set up you have!

Thoughts on the light thus far?

I had the stock BC lights previously. Way too hot. I had the Kessil on another tank with the Gig for the last 4 months and then moved them both over to the BC. The gig has thrived under the Kessil. I really like it. Plan to get another one.