PDA

View Full Version : Hippo Tang and Yellow Tang

kimberleynores
08/31/2014, 04:24 PM
I just put a Hippo Tang in my tank with my Yellow Tang who has been in the tank a couple of weeks now. They are both the same size. There seems to be a bit of a display of posturing going on. No physical contact at all. How long should I give them to "hash it out" before I decide that they are not going to be friends?!

ca1ore
08/31/2014, 04:36 PM
Hippos and Yellows will typically coexist without major problems as long as the tank is of adequate size.

kimberleynores
08/31/2014, 04:41 PM
Ok, that's what I thought! I'll just keep my eye on them!

ca1ore
08/31/2014, 04:53 PM
Is the tank of adequate size?

saltyair
08/31/2014, 04:53 PM
What size is the tank

Sk8r
08/31/2014, 04:54 PM
Tank should be about 300 gallons for that combo.

saltyair
08/31/2014, 05:04 PM
Tank should be about 300 gallons for that combo.

I respectfully disagree 180 6 foot would be fine for a yt and hippo

Sk8r
08/31/2014, 05:14 PM
Length does matter with these fish, and it's definitely more than enough for the yt, but the hippo is one of the largest fish we commonly keep, and he needs a lot of running room. 180 is unquestionably a very respectable tank, but another couple of feet plus enouogh turning room would help the hippo have a long and healthy life. Doing everything possible to oxygenate the water would be a huge help to fish health: a killer skimmer, a cheato fuge, etc.

Rob6311
08/31/2014, 07:07 PM
Ok well they have the "how big is the tank" question covered so I'll put some new input in. Ok so the tension between your two fish is completely natural for the "tank" world because they are so closely related, that's one thing that a lot of people over look when they plan on stocking their tank, when you plan on putting two different fish that are of the same kind (ex: clowns, tangs, butterflies, etc) you should put them in at the same time because in such a confined space (your tank) they like to steak out their territories and since they are both tangs they both like the same kind of territory so since your yellow tang had already staked out his territory the new hippo is basically trespassing, luckily tangs are normally docile fish and that's why they haven't fought physically, and hopefully that calm nature of the tangs will also allow the hippo to move in without further conflict (sorry if you couldn't follow what I was saying, I'm not too good at explaining things)

moulton712
08/31/2014, 08:18 PM
They will be fine. The blue tang will be submissive until its comfortable. They will be best buds.

Dozer1one
08/31/2014, 09:19 PM
Tangs are not docile fish what so ever, they should be added last especially the yellow tang. Also I'm sure the above poster doesn't have a 300 gallon tank as a lot of people don't and still have tangs. Let's not push them away buy playing tang police on there 2 nd post lol

ca1ore
08/31/2014, 09:29 PM
Indeed Tangs are far from docile. Although perhaps not the alpha aggressor like a
Sohal or Clown Tang, the Yellow can be pretty aggressive. But, Hippos and Yellows are from different tang families, and should have no problem coexisting. The issue, particularly with the hippo, is that it can be idiosyncratic, particularly if living in cramped quarters.

Marine fish are inherently territorial and a new fish will get some hazing, often from many if the fish in the tank. In the majority of cases it dies down after a day or two. Placing a mirror against one end of the tank can be quite effective at distracting an aggressor. At the very least it is a source of amusement at how stupid fish really are.

usingthejohn
08/31/2014, 09:33 PM
Indeed Tangs are far from docile. Although perhaps not the alpha aggressor like a
Sohal or Clown Tang, the Yellow can be pretty aggressive. But, Hippos and Yellows are from different tang families, and should have no problem coexisting. The issue, particularly with the hippo, is that it can be idiosyncratic, particularly if living in cramped quarters.

Marine fish are inherently territorial and a new fish will get some hazing, often from many if the fish in the tank. In the majority of cases it dies down after a day or two. Placing a mirror against one end of the tank can be quite effective at distracting an aggressor. At the very least it is a source of amusement at how stupid fish really are.
I wouldn't consider marine fish stupid. I tried the mirror trick on a purple tang that was beating up on a copperband and it didn't work. I even taped a picture of another tang outside the tank in an attempt to lure the tang in without luck. It never ventured anywhere near the trap after I caught the yellow tang.

I'm convinced it knew what I was doing. (Or its human captor is of lower intelligence) Haha

Dozer1one
08/31/2014, 09:34 PM
Agh yeah the mirror trick.. I always wanted to try that,just never had to lol

ca1ore
08/31/2014, 09:58 PM
I wouldn't consider marine fish stupid. I tried the mirror trick on a purple tang that was beating up on a copperband and it didn't work. I even taped a picture of another tang outside the tank in an attempt to lure the tang in without luck. It never ventured anywhere near the trap after I caught the yellow tang.

I'm convinced it knew what I was doing. (Or its human captor is of lower intelligence) Haha

All things relative I suppose :lol:

kmbyrnes
09/02/2014, 07:18 AM
Had to use the mirror for my Desjardini. He didn't like my Foxface. They never got along so I had to choose. I kept the Desjardini until I realized he was getting too big for my tank. He loved 'mirror time' and waited for it every day. I even gave the mirror to his new owner when he was rehomed