PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Berghia Nudibranchs & Aptasia

Justin_S
09/02/2014, 10:05 AM
I'm looking for others that I can correspond with for troubleshooting as I plan to begin breeding Berghia and inherently Aptasia as well. Is there anybody with experience or anybody attempting to breed them who's willing to be in contact with me?

I'm also looking for aptasia. I am located in central Iowa, ideally the aptasia is not on rock.
-Thanks-

kfisc
09/02/2014, 12:36 PM
For many of us, this is an intriguing request, as we spend a lot of time trying to get rid of both. Is it for a research project?

If you set up a tank with live rock and overfeed, you'll have as much aptasia as you'll likely want within weeks.

Justin_S
09/02/2014, 10:59 PM
I don't think you've understood the point of a Berghia Nudibranch. There's no reason a logical aquarist would want to rid their system of Berghia!

jccaclimber
09/04/2014, 05:21 PM
I didn't continue breeding berghia very long after my tank's aiptasia population was eliminated, but had success while I was doing it. Worth noting are that berghia eat aiptasia at a truly astounding rate. Each adult was capable of eating several aiptasia larger than its self each day. Sure, aiptasia grows like a weed when you don't have anything to kill it, but it doesn't grow as fast as you might want when using it as a food source. Keep your food source in a separate container from your aiptasia, and have a lot more on hand than you think you will need.

1fishkeeper
09/09/2014, 02:53 PM
When I breed them I was on a rock trading program with others that live near me. I also had a another thank that I just had rock covered in them and keep them well feed with lots of light to keep them growing. But after doing it for a couple of years I lost all of them for some unknown reason and I never started it back up.