PDA

View Full Version : New Setup Questions

mmontag
09/02/2014, 12:24 PM
Getting back into this slowly and not sure what system to get since I don't feel like I heave enough experience to construct my own.

Right now, I am deciding between a 29 gal Biocube and the 34 gal Red Sea Max. I realize that the price difference is huge, so I'm trying to figure out which system I would be better off with in the long run, and what kind of mods/upgrades would need to be made. I plan on substrate, live rock, LPS, and a few fish to get started.

Any advice would be appreciated!

nmotz
09/02/2014, 12:52 PM
Hmm... well, system stability is one factor that can help you choose, bigger is better, although I'm not sure how much of a difference 5 gallons makes. Think about aquascaping...which one has a better shape to build rock w/coral?

If it were me, I'd start with a system that is cheaper but can be modified over the years. I'm not sure either one is good for that, but if you like the cube look then I would do the 29 gal Biocube.

One thing I've always heard really experienced reefers say is that you should prepare not for what you want now, but for what you *might* want years from now. For example, you might want a fairly small cube tank now, but once you get started you might really fall in love and eventually want to upgrade to a 120 gallon mixed reef tank with all the bells and whistles. Just buy something that can be modified or become a sump/refugium for a future project. Know what I mean?