PDA

View Full Version : fish not eating hair algae

BigJim
09/02/2014, 04:23 PM
I keep having patches of hair algae pop up and just can't seem to get it under control. I'm dosing vodka to help but was wondering why my fish don't seem to touch the hair algae. I have a powder blue tang, yellow tang, blonde naso tang, flame angel and a foxface one spot. They don't seem to have any interest. I just got the foxface hoping it would help but it only wants to eat the nori I feed.

I know the best thing to do is isolate and control the source of the hair algae. I'm working on that but was just wondering why my fish aren't helping. I have tried hermits and snails but they don't really help either.

Indymann99
09/02/2014, 07:04 PM
My YT and Hippo Tang won't touch GHA...

My GHA problem took about 6mo of manual cleaning and regular GFO changes.

pyithar
09/02/2014, 07:49 PM
it's because your GHA is not tasty! :D it depends on the fish really. some fish eat all kinds of algae while some fish don't. my kole tang and one spot foxface eat hair algae but they weren't interested in algae sheets and nori that i fed them in the beginning. so they got hungry and ate the hair algae (natural looking things) i think.

ca1ore
09/02/2014, 09:18 PM
Try stoping nori for a few days and see if hunger pangs make the GHA a bit more appealing. There's a lot if monkey-see-monkey-do with Tangs. If you get one that has a taste for GHA often the others will follow. Sometimes they just won't eat it though.