PDA

View Full Version : Coming to you for some advice.

reed_5point0
09/02/2014, 08:53 PM
Before any of you go on a witch hunt, this was all purchased decades before I was born, I just recently inherited it due to losing my father, a science teacher. He collected anything awesome. However I am a big advocate against how decor like this is made, and would like to bring it back where it belongs, and still have a centerpiece to enjoy.

Ok so I have some old coral skeletons, two of witch I am too new to the hobby to identify dead, so I will name them myself:lmao:. Both are dyed it looks like with something...I would date these from 1950s-70s no F'n clue what was used.

Big Blue (http://imgur.com/7q1suLv)
Green Monster (http://imgur.com/ebfFu4V)

However I am starting up a new Nuvo 30gal, and would like to feature both in my tank. Mainly the big blue one, but I like both lol.

Would it be possible to bleach the crap off them so nothing would leech into my ecosystem? Would make my day to rehost some life back onto these guys slowly in my tank.

syrinx
09/02/2014, 10:57 PM
neither one is dyed- the first is a blue ridge coral. You have proven the fact that harvested coral is a good thing-here is a coral that has been used and enjoyed for 30 or 40 years- most coral in peoples tanks that is alive- will not be for that amount of time, and likely will be discarded when it dies. Just bleach and let air dry for several days and you should be good to go.

Steveb
09/02/2014, 11:34 PM
pretty sure the green monster is a Slipper / Tongue Coral (Polyphyllia sp.).

reed_5point0
09/02/2014, 11:42 PM
awesome, I was going with "plate" coral for Green dude. Thanks for the tips guys!

fishhuman
09/20/2014, 08:46 AM
It's a great idea but eventually both( unless by some miracle there alive) will break down in your tank. It will probobly take a few months though.

IdahoCindy
09/20/2014, 11:02 AM
I would use them for décor outside of the tank, if it were me.

syrinx
09/20/2014, 05:00 PM
It's a great idea but eventually both( unless by some miracle there alive) will break down in your tank. It will probobly take a few months though.

these are storny coral skeletons- they wont break down for a thousand years. Coral reefs are comprised of coral skeletons. Alive or dead -perfectly appropriate marine aquarium decor.

acabgd
09/20/2014, 05:35 PM
But they might get completely covered with algae...

Steveb
09/20/2014, 06:15 PM
these are storny coral skeletons- they wont break down for a thousand years. Coral reefs are comprised of coral skeletons. Alive or dead -perfectly appropriate marine aquarium decor.

agreed. not sure what the line of thinking was. Live rock after all is nothing but coral skeletons.

I like the idea of keeping it out as decoration as well.

tigerjace
10/01/2014, 05:29 PM
Using it as decor in or out of the tank is both appropriate. However inside the tank it will collect algae or turn brown from slime....you can just let nature takes its course and let other coral spread onto it.

reed_5point0
12/04/2016, 01:35 PM
I know I am resurrecting a dead thread of sorts...But I just wanted to post a long due update!

I took about a year to save up a little more, and do my first reef in a decade RIGHT. I am still planning to use the Blue Ridge in the tank.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=11235&pictureid=76700

All my equipment is in, just waiting on the drop shipped Reefer tank. Have had a few days to plan my Aquascape tho!

nate16
12/04/2016, 06:21 PM
I'd agree with some other posters here and recommend to keep them as decor. Awesome relics though!

skiingfast
12/19/2016, 02:02 PM
That Big Blue will make a great place for fish to sleep and cleaners to graze. Looks good.

I've used both real and replica skeletons. I got the real at garage sales. All I do is sun bleach them in between tanks and they growth just falls off with the slightest breeze.

reed_5point0
12/19/2016, 02:09 PM
My first decent diatom bloom happened last week and the top plates got a decent coat. I picked up some Certh snails and they like it a lot. Can't wait till fish can move in. Soon I hope.

Steveb
12/19/2016, 03:12 PM
Cool.. post some pics when you get a chance!

birdfish
12/20/2016, 03:24 PM
The Blue Coral is Heliopora, and great in tanks. The green is a type of tongue, of which there are a few genera, Herpolitha and Polyphyllia are the common ones in the hobby.
There are a couple other similar types of tongues.