PDA

View Full Version : Need light and skimmer suggestions for 27 gallon cube

lotusstar
09/04/2014, 11:46 AM
Hey all,
I'm getting back into the reef game finally from selling off my 90 gallon tank. I don't have the room for anything big right now so been on the lookout for a decent small tank.
So I just took the plunge on buying a marineland 27 gallon cube. I really like the dimensions, 20x18x20. It comes with a crap led fixture that I want to replace since I want a mixed reef. Can anyone recommend a small led fixture? I have to stay under 300$, was looking at a nano AI fixture and also a nano maxspeck but does anyone else have any recommendations? Or does anyone have any experience with either of these fixtures?
I also need a skimmer, I plan on using a small sump under the stand so need a small internal skimmer, this is also on a budget of less than 300$. Was looking at a small reef octopus or bubble magus on brs, but again would be open to suggestions.
Thanks for the help and advice I appreciate input and once I get the essentials bought I will be starting my build thread.

Jason

Hentz
09/04/2014, 11:58 AM
A Kessil 350/360 would be PERFECT for this tank. Can pick up a used 350 with gooseneck for like $250.

Unless however you're keeping lower end corals, a Kessil 150 would be fine.

If you want controllability, I like the Maxspect Razor. I've had great SPS growth and Zoanthid growth with my old one. AI Nano is nice also, but keep in mind you'd need to external controller.

Skimmers, BM makes great skimmers. I see a lot of people switching over to them. Though I'm also a firm believer in Reef Octopus skimmers!

lotusstar
09/04/2014, 12:38 PM
Kessil, I totally forgot about them. That's a good suggestion, might have to look into that one. Thanks for the feedback on the skimmer also. I guess probably either one I go with would be a good choice.

Hentz
09/04/2014, 01:28 PM
Kessil, I totally forgot about them. That's a good suggestion, might have to look into that one. Thanks for the feedback on the skimmer also. I guess probably either one I go with would be a good choice.

any choice of LED's that you or I named are going to be a good choice. You're also guaranteed you can keep any coral under those LEDs.

It really just comes down to how much you wanna spend. Don't be afraid to buy used either!