PDA

View Full Version : Egad!

Islandoftiki
09/04/2014, 02:57 PM
Ok folks, real or fake? I just saw this one Facebook:

Steve Bargeron was fishing from a dock in Fort Pierce as he watched a fellow fisherman pull this creature out of the water. Steve said the massive thing was about 18 inches long and striking its own tail, so he grabbed it by its back like a lobster. Scientists think it may be some type of mantis shrimp.
Photo by Steve Bargeron

Obviously they're holding it close to the camera. It looks like it's 3 feet long in the picture but it was only 18 inches... still pretty good size. Maybe that's 18" with the dactyls extended.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q144/circuitweed/Random/10623833_10152650258533349_2768074947104602334_o_zpsf56aa8c5.jpg

What do you think? Just an exceptionally large spearer? What species do you think?

Calappidae
09/04/2014, 03:36 PM
Looks real, and painful to get speared by that's all I know :eek2:

So much for L. maculata being the largest species..

Islandoftiki
09/04/2014, 04:54 PM
This was in Maine, USA. Do L. Maculata exist in that area?

Kharn
09/05/2014, 01:05 AM
I've been getting linked to it on Facebook all day -_- I got hit about 10x so far...

It is a pritty good specimen though :D

rustyjames
09/05/2014, 06:56 AM
This was in Maine, USA. Do L. Maculata exist in that area?

The story said it was a fisherman in Florida. Still a pretty big shrimp.

Gonodactylus
09/05/2014, 08:22 AM
Lysiosquilla scabricauda. The photo is probably a fake with the hand and rod well behind the stomatopod. L. scabricauda is reported to get to 275 mm and I have seen large males that may have approached 300 mm, but there is no way this animal is 18 inches even if you include in that estimate the dangling raptorial appendages.

Roy

Adetia
09/05/2014, 09:39 AM
Some more pics in this article.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/trending/Caught-Shrimp-big-enough-to-cover-your-grill-photos.html

Metazoer
09/05/2014, 02:30 PM
"We're going to need thicker glass"

Calappidae
09/05/2014, 04:08 PM
"We're going to need thicker glass"

It's a spearer.

Islandoftiki
09/05/2014, 04:16 PM
It's a spearer.

We're gonna need thicker skin!

Islandoftiki
09/05/2014, 04:22 PM
Sheesh, this story has gone viral. It's hitting every news agency. Gizmodo picked it up, USA Today picked it up, People magazine covered it. Google "giant shrimp caught florida" and see what I mean. Friends have shared it to my Facebook page several times today and I'm seeing every saltwater related Facebook vendor throwing it up.

Calappidae
09/05/2014, 07:37 PM
We're gonna need thicker skin!

and deeper sandbed :D

Anybody know the fate of this specimen after being caught? Would be a shame if they killed it.. could've just been a new size record, ain't like some specimens that we seen here haven't grown freakishly large before. (Roy's 8" O. scyllarus, Kharn's.. I forget :D oversized G. Glabrous?) Then there is just rare occurences like G. smithii's alternate coloration.

ca1ore
09/05/2014, 08:20 PM
I've seen foot long mantis in Palau, so not a stretch to assume they could get to 18". Did they keep it I wonder? If not, I'd fall on the side of 'fake'.

ArmasCG
09/05/2014, 10:06 PM
I'm thinking about doing some deep night dives at some point to start looking for more of these monsters out by where I live. I haven't had much luck near shore. No matter how large this is it's still really exciting to see!

ScienceAchieved
09/06/2014, 09:41 AM
and deeper sandbed :D

Anybody know the fate of this specimen after being caught? Would be a shame if they killed it...

they claimed to have released it. I just saw this, I dont have this page bookmarked on my phone and googling mantis shrimp brings this forum up. Now it brings up thousands of news agencies articles about this haha. The funniest one has in writing, " scientists beleive it may be some sort of mantis shrimp". Good hypothesis, scientists. science achieved!

liverock
09/06/2014, 11:56 AM
Lysiosquilla scabricauda. The photo is probably a fake with the hand and rod well behind the stomatopod. L. scabricauda is reported to get to 275 mm and I have seen large males that may have approached 300 mm, but there is no way this animal is 18 inches even if you include in that estimate the dangling raptorial appendages.

Roy

Roy...I caught one in the Gulf on hook and line...was about 15 miles offshore..of Tampa.....and this was about 20 years ago....the one I caught was an almost white color with black bands...and at least 18 inches long...scared me so bad I just cut the line and let him go...in retrospect should have kept him....is the only one I have ever seen/caught in over 40 years on the Gulf of Mexico.

Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com

Tweaked
09/07/2014, 05:51 AM
So these are fake too??

http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg485/TweakedS10/102c94a9489030e9e121f0258044a30e_zps652491b6.jpg

Calappidae
09/07/2014, 09:28 AM
So these are fake too??

http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg485/TweakedS10/102c94a9489030e9e121f0258044a30e_zps652491b6.jpg

Those look normal sized..

ScienceAchieved
09/08/2014, 01:03 PM
So these are fake too??

The perspective makes them look bigger. I see that they both have band-aids on their fingers haha

Islandoftiki
09/08/2014, 02:01 PM
So these are fake too??

Not fake and also not 18" long. The point was the the viral story about the monster mantis shrimp was undoubtedly exaggerated (or maybe just technically incorrect). Many mantis shrimp facts you'll find online are sensationalized. I'm constantly having to correct people who state that mantis shrimp can shatter bones or remove an entire finger with one hit.

Those in the picture you show look like normal sized large spearers. Obviously they look larger when the datcyls are stretched out to their maximum length and held close to the camera, but that's not how mantis shrimp length is measured. So, it's likely that in the original story, they stretched out a normal sized large 15" adult and described it as 18". No big deal, it's unlikely they would know how to measure a mantis shrimp. Nevertheless, they probably didn't have an 18" monster. And they did use forced perspective to make it look like it was 3 feet long and 30 lbs. Big fish story, IMO.

It would be cool though if they preserved it and had an expert confirm that it was a mantis of unusual size.

Gonodactylus
09/20/2014, 05:09 PM
I've been away for a few days (eating my fill of Squilla mantis in Italy) and lost track of this story. When I got back I had an email from the chap who photographed the L. scabracauda. He said that the animal was not measured and that it wasn't 18 inches. The animal was released.

I did some more checking on what was the largest stomatopod ever collected and measured. I was pretty sure that it was a Lysiosquillina maculata at just under 40 cm. I can't find any L. maculata larger and no other species comes close. I have a preserved L. maculata in my collection that is a large male from Hawaii measuring 37cm. That is the largest stomatopod that I have ever seen although in the British Museum they have a collection of war clubs and spears, many set with L. maculata dactyls and while I didn't measure them, a couple looked to me like they could have been from a male even larger than 40 cm.

Roy

Kharn
09/20/2014, 06:06 PM
I'm interested in the bathysquilloides there is a record of a 394mm B.crassispinosa match that with the fact that they live in an environment very well known as a hot spot for 'gigantism'.... :)

Fartin'Gary
09/23/2014, 04:12 AM
I've been away for a few days (eating my fill of Squilla mantis in Italy) and lost track of this story. When I got back I had an email from the chap who photographed the L. scabracauda. He said that the animal was not measured and that it wasn't 18 inches. The animal was released.

I did some more checking on what was the largest stomatopod ever collected and measured. I was pretty sure that it was a Lysiosquillina maculata at just under 40 cm. I can't find any L. maculata larger and no other species comes close. I have a preserved L. maculata in my collection that is a large male from Hawaii measuring 37cm. That is the largest stomatopod that I have ever seen although in the British Museum they have a collection of war clubs and spears, many set with L. maculata dactyls and while I didn't measure them, a couple looked to me like they could have been from a male even larger than 40 cm.

Roy

Dr.Roy,

Can I ask where you go to eat? We just moved to Naples and I have yet to taste them. :lol2:

Gonodactylus
09/23/2014, 08:40 AM
I usually order canocchie when I'm in Venice in the fall, but I was on the Amalfi coast last week and had some in Positano. I didn't eat in Naples, but they should be on the menu of seafood restaurants in the next month or two.

Roy

Fartin'Gary
09/23/2014, 11:56 AM
I usually order canocchie when I'm in Venice in the fall, but I was on the Amalfi coast last week and had some in Positano. I didn't eat in Naples, but they should be on the menu of seafood restaurants in the next month or two.

Roy

Great thanks. We will have cars by October 2nd so some trips to Sorrento and farther down the coast will happen. I'd ask you what's your favorite restaurant but I have not had a bad meal here yet and that would be hard enough to answer just based on the muscles I had the other day.

Cheers,

Mike