PDA

View Full Version : Chalk Bass

cvsailer
09/05/2014, 02:07 PM
Generally speaking what is your impression/opinion of the Chalk Bass? Second, I have the following fish, do you see any issues adding a Chalk Bass to my 92 gallon corner FOWLR:

Foxface
Convict Blenny
2 Clowns
Kaudern Cardinal
Vrolick Wrasse
Leomonpeel Angelfish
Coral Beauty Angelfish
Blue Spotted Puffer
Royal Gamma Basslett

Thanks for your help!

moriarty
09/05/2014, 03:40 PM
Chalk bass are one of my favorite fish. I keep/have kept at least one in just about all of my systems. I personally like to keep them in pairs or small groups (mine have spawned on several occasions and the spawning behavior is pretty cool to watch, with the male swimming in broad sweeping arches back and fourth across the tank). The only issue that I can see with your current stock list would be aggression from the royal gramma, especially if it's a long term established resident. Changing your aquascaping and breaking up established territories may help to reduce aggression from the gramma. If you decide to keep more than one, (which I recommend, although they will do fine when kept singly), 2 or 3 would work well with your system and current stocking. Just be sure to add them at the same time.

cvsailer
09/05/2014, 06:03 PM
Chalk bass are one of my favorite fish. I keep/have kept at least one in just about all of my systems. I personally like to keep them in pairs or small groups (mine have spawned on several occasions and the spawning behavior is pretty cool to watch, with the male swimming in broad sweeping arches back and fourth across the tank). The only issue that I can see with your current stock list would be aggression from the royal gramma, especially if it's a long term established resident. Changing your aquascaping and breaking up established territories may help to reduce aggression from the gramma. If you decide to keep more than one, (which I recommend, although they will do fine when kept singly), 2 or 3 would work well with your system and current stocking. Just be sure to add them at the same time.

If I add 2-3 Chalk Bass (as opposed to just one) would that help temper the aggression of my royal gamma?

moriarty
09/06/2014, 07:04 AM
Adding multiple chalk bass may spread out the aggression so that one single fish isn't singled out and bullied. The aggression would likely be at it's worst when the new fish are first introduced, but I would think that the royal gramma would eventually leave the chalk bass alone (aside from chasing them away from it's territory when they get too close). I have kept the two species together in a similar size aquarium (120) with out any major issues.

Logzor
09/06/2014, 07:51 AM
I added 3 chalk bass then about a year later I added 7 more. All 10 are still doing great together.

cvsailer
09/08/2014, 07:04 PM
I added 3 chalk bass then about a year later I added 7 more. All 10 are still doing great together.

What other fish do you have and what size tank?

cvsailer
09/08/2014, 07:08 PM
Are Chalk Bass typically blue or do they come in different shades of color? I'm interested in adding some more blue to my tank.

Flippers4pups
09/08/2014, 07:29 PM

I had one until recently, it went carpet surfing. Forgot to put back my screen. Was bummed for weeks! Loved that fish. When my 125 is finished, I plan on having multiples of them! Great fish!

Mine was blue and redish.

Sugar Magnolia
09/09/2014, 05:40 AM
They're blue with reddish/pinkish vertical stripes. Great little fish!