PDA

View Full Version : TDS Readings

Spyderturbo007
09/06/2014, 03:17 PM
I think I might need to replace both of my DI cartridges, but it seems weird for them to both need replacing at the same time.

I have the following:

-0.5 micron Sediment Filter
-Carbon Block
-Chloramine Removal Block
-99% Rejection RO
-DI-SB-10
-DI-SB-10HC

DI was replaced on 12/6/13. Sediment filter and both carbon blocks were replaced on 6-21-14.

I have dual TDS meters and measure before the RO (171) after the RO (4) after the DI-SB-10 (1) and then the final product water (1).

All of a sudden today both DIs are showing 1ppm. Isn't that weird? Also, is 9 months a short life for two DIs behind the 99% rejection RO membrane?

Something seems fishy, especially with only having a 55g tank. I don't go through all that much water. Just routine water changes and Top Offs.

speedyron
09/06/2014, 03:39 PM
depends on the water coming in somtimes they flush the lines in city water and it messes them up or in wells pump sucks up stuff

SpectraPure
09/09/2014, 10:08 AM
Hello,

Time is relative. Some people only get 3 months out of their DI, but lets back-track a little bit.

Do you make large batches of water, and then transfer the water for top-off using a separate pump?

How many ml/pm is the product water?
<--use a stop watch and measuring cup
How many ml/pm is the waste water?

Do you know what your general hardness is?

Do you know what your co2 levels are?

Please answer these questions to the best of your ability.

Jeremy

Spyderturbo007
09/10/2014, 05:05 PM
Hello,

Time is relative. Some people only get 3 months out of their DI, but lets back-track a little bit.

Do you make large batches of water, and then transfer the water for top-off using a separate pump?

I make my salt water in large batches, but my ATO water is done every few days in a 6g container. The saltwater is made in 30g batches.

How many ml/pm is the product water?

250ml/min

How many ml/pm is the waste water?

545ml/min

Do you know what your general hardness is?

Do you know what your co2 levels are?

Unfortunately I do not.

Please answer these questions to the best of your ability.

Jeremy

I also seem to have a DI-MC-10 laying around if that helps. I think it came with one of my upgrades but I didn't know it until I opened the package. I think the guy on the phone said to use to of the SI Buster ones for some reason.

Doesn't matter to me as long as it's done right.

Thanks Jeremy!

SpectraPure
09/11/2014, 09:21 AM
Your rejection sounds ok (absent more incoming water detail information), however, CO2 can and often does play a significant role in the life of your DI. Unfortunately, TDS meters do not measure CO2 so while it could be a factor (especially when season water source changes are made in many municipalities, and the CO2 also changes), for the moment I will assume you have been running your system for years with the same configuration of cartridges, water consumption, sources, etc.

First, a reading change of 0 to 1 on a TDS meter may be within the tolerance of the instrument, thus not an indication of a DI change event. Both changing from 0 to 1 concurrently may be coincidence. Were they both replaced at the same time or? I would suggest you wait until you have a reading 2 or 3 then change that stage.
Good on you that you are paying close attention to your meters, many do not until the DI have dumped back the stored contaminants (readings going above 5-8 depending on various factors).
If you would like to try it, replace the SB's with mixed bed HCs, many people are reporting more water production on the MBs, again, depending on your water conditions.
bruce

Spyderturbo007
09/12/2014, 06:30 AM
Hi Bruce,

The original system (Sediment / Carbon / RO Membrane / Single DI Stage) has been up since June 2012. In December 2013 I added the Chloramine Removal Carbon Block and the Secondary DI stage).

Both DI cartridge were replaced at the same time when I did the upgrade. The RO membrane was also upgraded at the time to a higher rejection rate model.

Would it be beneficial for me to replace one of the SB's with the DI-MC-10 that I have sitting on the shelf since December? I didn't know you had to refrigerate them until just recently, so it might be bad.

What would be your recommendation moving forward? What should I replace and with what should I replace it with?

SpectraPure
09/12/2014, 11:02 AM
run the maxcap followed by the silica buster. Watch the numbers and follow the directions here:
http://spectrapure.com/manuals/MC_MANUAL.pdf
bruce

Spyderturbo007
09/15/2014, 06:16 AM
I'll do that for now and then order some new DI in the next few weeks.

Moving forward, what would be your recommendation for the DI I should choose? One MC and one SB or two of the MC?

SpectraPure
09/15/2014, 10:26 AM
One DI-MC-10HC, and then followed DI-SB-10HC would be your best bet.

Jeremy

Spyderturbo007
09/15/2014, 01:11 PM
Thanks for your help!

SpectraPure
09/15/2014, 01:16 PM
Thank you for your business. We greatly appreciate it. Please let me know if you ever need help optimizing your system for extended filter life! =)

Jeremy