PDA

View Full Version : Anyone grow berries or anything with the spill over light?

Jeff000
09/07/2014, 06:37 PM
So this might be more for the people with fish rooms.
But I noticed I have lots of excess light in my fish room, and love fresh strawberries and peppers.
Has anyone set up planters to take advantage of otherwise wasted light?

I figure between the light and the humidity I should be able to grow quite well.

spamreefnew
09/07/2014, 07:23 PM
I think it would depend on the kind of plant and weather you want a flowering or fruiting plant . Most plants want red light with a touch of blue,but our tanks use mostly blue. I would research on some hydroponic sites.

cherubfish pair
09/07/2014, 08:01 PM
You probably won't want to use water change water for your plants. Probably too high in salt.

Jeff000
09/07/2014, 08:45 PM
You probably won't want to use water change water for your plants. Probably too high in salt.

I'd probably use the RO reject water. Or new water, water is cheap. lol.

I know the blues and whites aren't ideal for plants, but seems like since there is so bloody much of it that they might like it?

gogo7
09/07/2014, 09:49 PM
is this the reefer central?

jmoney 402
09/08/2014, 02:17 AM
Generally speaking, most plants wont do well indoors, too dry not humid enough. There are exceptions but having success growing berries indoors without a regulated climate is highly unlikely. You might be able to grow some hardy trees with the light, but then again a window sill would be better.

Not only is inside climate too dry, but many plants require a dormant cycle during winter(exceptions being tropical plants). Without this cycle the tree's "internal clock" is thrown off further stressing it out.

DamonG
09/08/2014, 05:29 AM
I grew an Orchid and some small basil as a little experiment, but this was actually in my stand and not outside of it. But then, I had a grow light(hydroponic) on my fuge.

I think, as a person with lots of hydroponic experience, it will depend on you spill light levels. The things I grew, did good, but then, they are low light plants. Also, your humidity, generally, as long as it's 50-60 percent, your good! Rest, the plants don't need, and actually, the co2 would be beneficial for them and the tank. Especially if your talking about a basement.

Theoretically, you could easily do it, but it would have to be at up pretty specific, like a system/plants right next to your sump in order to take in all the light they could. That is, unless you have the equivalent of 600+ watts of light on the fuge. Then you have breathing room of give our take a couple feet.

The only thing that would be cumbersome is during pollination, as depending on the specific strain of plant, you have to pollinate with an electric toothbrush every day. That and the flower's possibly falling into your fuge. Not quite sure if there would be a problem with that..

But thats about it. Would be a great large scale project..

Jeff000
09/08/2014, 11:20 AM
Hmm, never thought about pollination.
I was thinking strawberries, since I could get several in a small area.

I would use my dt light over spill. And could get probably 4sq ft of growing area with about 70w equivalent of led light, warm white and royal blue mix.

But thinking maybe just getting a grow light and setting up a rack might be worth it too, be a good use of the humidity and RO waste water. And I get something from it too.

DamonG
09/08/2014, 02:33 PM
Hmm, never thought about pollination.
I was thinking strawberries, since I could get several in a small area.

I would use my dt light over spill. And could get probably 4sq ft of growing area with about 70w equivalent of led light, warm white and royal blue mix.

But thinking maybe just getting a grow light and setting up a rack might be worth it too, be a good use of the humidity and RO waste water. And I get something from it too.
Waste ro is great for hydro use! And lights have come down a ton over the years. I was looking at some at the beginning of the summer and couldn't believe how cheap a 600 watt dimmable system was.. They are practically giving them away now.

Strawberries are very cool plants to.. Lol, only thing with hydroponics and vine plants is just like everything else, they grow so fast! But yes, it would be a fun project for the winter months for sure! Have you decided what method of culture your going to do? I prefer aeroponics and drip, but they are very unforgiving..

And that's a nice little space for growth. 💃💃💃

cherubfish pair
09/08/2014, 04:57 PM
I'd probably use the RO reject water. Or new water, water is cheap. lol.

I know the blues and whites aren't ideal for plants, but seems like since there is so bloody much of it that they might like it?
RO reject water would be superior to chlorinated tap water if you get treated tap water.

Timfish
09/09/2014, 08:47 AM
The spill over will not be enough to grow much of anything very well, typically higher PAR levels are needed than what our tanks are getting. But I guess you could expierement with some of the dwarf tomato varieties if you really wanted to try it. Tiny Tim is one that's supposed to do acceptably with less light than other varieties.

ca1ore
09/09/2014, 12:12 PM
is this the reefer central?

No, the OP was asking about 'berries' :lol:

True story: years ago I had the Police come a knocking on my condo door inquiring about the light spill through one of my windows. They did not say explicitly, but the inference was that they were checking to see that I was not growing anything illicit.

justinky
09/09/2014, 02:10 PM

True story: years ago I had the Police come a knocking on my condo door inquiring about the light spill through one of my windows. They did not say explicitly, but the inference was that they were checking to see that I was not growing anything illicit.

You reefer you! :bum:

DamonG
09/09/2014, 04:06 PM
The one thing I would suggest is getting a light meter( footcandle and not par) if your serious about it. They're cheap now to buy, either that, or if your good with photography, I have read you can use a camera to measure. I'm not sure if it's an f stop conversion or how it's done, but I read long ago somehow that you could.

And lol, that's surprising at this day and age. When I first started with hydroponics in the early 90's, thermal scans and things of the like used to be normal. But now, with so many things pulling electricity and so many reasons there is a ton of light, it's odd they would bug you. Lol, that's comical..

joshky
09/09/2014, 05:45 PM

Psh, you know they just wanted to see your tank. :lolspin: