PDA

View Full Version : Salt Mixes

Dummyforclownfi
09/08/2014, 09:02 PM
It's that time again to buy another bucket of salt. I have been using the red sea pro salt mix but was wondering, does it really matter which salt you get? Aren't there plenty of amazing reefs out there that use the cheap petco instant ocean salt? What exactly would make it worth the extra money to buy these expensive salt mixes? Yes I am aware that they do provide extra supplements but are such supplements needed? Do we really do enough water changes to actually make the extra supplements even noticeable? Will paying $75 for a bucket of salt really make[help] my coral look more amazing than if I pay $50 for a bucket of salt? What salt mixes are you guys using? If you are buying the cheap stuff, why don't you switch to the expensive stuff? If you are using the expensive stuff, why use that over the cheap stuff? Just posting this out of curiosity but maybe you guys will help me decide on which salt to start using. Thanks in advance for any responses.

HumbleFish
09/08/2014, 09:15 PM
I typically use Oceanic, just because that's what I'm used to. But if I can't get a deal on that, I won't hesitate to use Instant Ocean. All you really need to do to make it "reef salt" is add some some calcium chloride from BRS; IMHO.

sirreal63
09/09/2014, 07:58 AM
The extra fluff in those "designer salts" is just that, fluff. Here is an excellent example of an Instant Ocean powered tank, no additional supplements other than a calcium reactor. If simple IO helps to get results like this, it makes the argument against the "fluff" salts valid.

I would recommend reading the thread, not only is it a great read, it shows how a tank with the proper equipment and care doesn't need any the extra junk being sold today.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2023909

bertoni
09/09/2014, 03:56 PM
Instant Ocean is fine. Many Tanks of the Month run on it.

Dummyforclownfi
09/09/2014, 04:07 PM
Well I have yet to be convinced as to why I should keep using expensive salt so I will change to instant ocean and use the savings on coral instead.

bertoni
09/09/2014, 04:08 PM
That's what I did.

GainesvilleReef
09/09/2014, 06:16 PM
I switched from RSCP to IO and could not be happier.

fishchef
09/09/2014, 07:27 PM
Must be what part of the country your in. We use Coralife Marine Salt and its always the best buy here in Missouri. I can't even think of a store that sells IO around here. It does a great job. Very stable parameters and I hardly ever dose to raise a value.

Mikesmith34
09/09/2014, 08:06 PM
I went from RSCP to IO about 6 months ago. I had the same type questions. I listened to the long term vets. My tank is very happy and I'm saving money! Best of both worlds

duberz
09/09/2014, 08:17 PM
Regular io or reef crystals?

Dummyforclownfi
09/09/2014, 08:56 PM
Thanks everyone.

pete33
09/09/2014, 10:27 PM
Regular IO. I just boost the mag to 1350. I also dose alk and cal.

AudiSportB5S4
09/11/2014, 09:39 AM
I'm glad you made this thread because I also have Red Sea Coral Pro and it's annoying to order it online and wait for it to arrive and the cost is pretty high. I'm going to grab Instant Ocean from my local Petco and just stick with that. It'll make things way easier.. It's also on sale right now for just under $36, which is a huge savings compared to buying salt online and shipping it.

Percula9
09/11/2014, 11:08 PM
By the way, IO was rated the most consistent salt.

Dummyforclownfi
09/12/2014, 07:57 AM
By the way, IO was rated the most consistent salt.
By who? And do you have a link to an article?

Flippers4pups
09/12/2014, 08:05 AM
Kent salt here. Happy so far. Mixes clean.

azjohnny
09/12/2014, 09:02 AM
One thing I didn't like about RSCP salt was it mixed dirty ( would leave a tan coloered scum in the mixing container) I now use IO and it does mix a little cloudy but it will be ok once you add it to the DT

Tropic Marin is the best mixing salt I have ever used but it is more pricey

swk
09/12/2014, 02:05 PM
I like the blue bucket red sea, personally. Nice mixing salt that tests out around NSW for the foundation elements which is perfect for my carbon dosed tank. I can do large water changes without screwing with the chemistry too bad

hedgedrew
09/12/2014, 02:41 PM
I liked red sea blue bucket also. I have since switched to designer salt but that or tropic marin pro would be my dry salt choice. I really like esv salt though.

supervdl
09/13/2014, 07:41 AM
Reef crystals work for me very well. I used some of the high priced stuff before and it was very volatile on Calcium and Alkalinity. Now I am saving a lot of money and the parameters are stable.