PDA

View Full Version : Just cure rocks or acid dip first?

MDreefer301
09/08/2014, 10:25 PM
I have about 30lbs of live rock that ive had running in my old reef aquarium. When I took my old reef aquarium down I put my rocks in a tub of freshly mixed saltwater with the lid on it. The tub had no powerheads or heaters in it and I left them this way for maybe a year and a half. Im currently setting up my biocube 14 and I want to use these rocks again.

Ive been reading around and finding some people say just put them in my aquarium and start the curing process but sum people say my rocks probably will leak phosphates and stuff in my water suggesting I do a muriatic acid bath. Im very confused.

What are u guys opinion? Should I just take a chance and go ahead and start the curing process in my aquarium and deal with phosphates later if they pop up? Or should I do the acid bath first?

Has anyone ever been in this situation with your live rock? Please tell me your opinions , Let me know your experiences..

Thanks guys

MDreefer301
09/08/2014, 11:26 PM
Anybody please

CuzzA
09/09/2014, 04:45 AM
There's no way to tell unless you test. I would test the water the rocks are in. Add a powerhead to the tub and do a 100% water change, wait a week or two and then test again. My guess is the rocks should be fine and won't need an acid bath.

MDreefer301
09/09/2014, 04:57 AM
There's no way to tell unless you test. I would test the water the rocks are in. Add a powerhead to the tub and do a 100% water change, wait a week or two and then test again. My guess is the rocks should be fine and won't need an acid bath.
Thanks thats really kinda what I wanted to hear I really dont wanna do an acid bath.