PDA

View Full Version : What are these bugs in my tank?

AquariumCA
09/09/2014, 03:53 PM
Hi Everyone,

As per thread http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2438878, all but one of my fish are dead due to ICH/Marine Velvet. Now I am letting the tank sit for 12 weeks.

I have noticed some bugs in my tank and can't make out what they are. Maybe you guys can help me with your experience. I had bought a couple of frags and did rinse them but not sure how these got in.

Here they are:
1) http://youtu.be/Vd0YlFEq3mo (I think these are isopods, what do you think?)
2) http://youtu.be/gqCTsojt_Tc (Not sure what this is, is this Snail - Stomatella?)
3) See the pic included

How should I deal with them. Are any of these nuisance pests? Do I have to close my tank down and start again?

Thank you for your help.

Regards

mixedreef89
09/09/2014, 04:28 PM
Hey man I can't really answer your question but I had those same little bugs. I had probably thousands of them. All over my sump and DT. I freaked out for about 2 weeks asked around but can't remember if I got a right answer. But they have since died off I only had them for about a month. I'm dealing with a bristle worm now that is about 3 inches long but I can't seem to catch him. He's wicked fast.

m0nkie
09/09/2014, 04:57 PM
not sure what #1 is..

second link looks like stomatella.. if it is, keep them in. hope you have 2 so they can mate

when you say "rinse" the plugs, are you just rinsing it in salt water? because that will not get rid of pests. You need to dip it in coral dip / poison (Bayer, Coral Rx, etc)

Miz40B
09/09/2014, 05:16 PM
1) are Copepods. Harmless algae eaters and a wonderful food source for all fishes.
2) Video is of a Stomatella Snail. Again an algae eater and very beneficial to our tanks.
The last 2 pic are to small to I.D.

m0nkie
09/09/2014, 05:24 PM
#1 does not look like copepods.. amphipods maybe..

anyways, doubt you need to start over. Just run your tank fallow for 70+ days.. feed the tank a little if you have inverts, quarantine (tank transfer) that last surviving fish

AquariumCA
09/10/2014, 12:47 AM
not sure what #1 is..

second link looks like stomatella.. if it is, keep them in. hope you have 2 so they can mate

when you say "rinse" the plugs, are you just rinsing it in salt water? because that will not get rid of pests. You need to dip it in coral dip / poison (Bayer, Coral Rx, etc)

I dipped the coral frags in Two Little Fishies ReVive Coral Cleaner. Not sure how this guy got in.

AquariumCA
09/10/2014, 12:54 AM
#1 does not look like copepods.. amphipods maybe..

anyways, doubt you need to start over. Just run your tank fallow for 70+ days.. feed the tank a little if you have inverts, quarantine (tank transfer) that last surviving fish

I have transferred the damsel into a QT. Tank is running empty with corals and inverts. Now its the waiting game. Wanted to know what these inhabitants were. Still a little nervous about the 3rd one which I did not get a good picture for. If I see it again I will post a better picture with an SLR.

What do I do with the copepods/amphipods that are growing. They have taken over the back of the tank. They are everywhere. Will they die off by themselves or take over the tank. I got 3 months to go till I add my first fish.

Also I add food for my inverts but occasionally I see a dead hermit crab. Are they killing each other?

Sugar Magnolia
09/10/2014, 05:32 AM
Your first video shows munnid isopods. They are a beneficial detrivore. You're seeing a population explosion because there are no fish in the tank. It's nothing to worry about at all.

Newsmyrna80
09/10/2014, 05:46 AM
I have transferred the damsel into a QT. Tank is running empty with corals and inverts. Now its the waiting game. Wanted to know what these inhabitants were. Still a little nervous about the 3rd one which I did not get a good picture for. If I see it again I will post a better picture with an SLR.

What do I do with the copepods/amphipods that are growing. They have taken over the back of the tank. They are everywhere. Will they die off by themselves or take over the tank. I got 3 months to go till I add my first fish.

Also I add food for my inverts but occasionally I see a dead hermit crab. Are they killing each other?

Are you sure the hermit is dead or did it just molt?

AquariumCA
09/10/2014, 08:01 AM
Are you sure the hermit is dead or did it just molt?

I actually see the dead body out of the shell floating around and see hermit crab lets on the sand bed. I think the larger hermit crabs are bullying the small ones. I do throw in food everyday to feed the pistol shrimp and the cleaner shrimp. I also ensure there is enough food for the hermit crabs.

The star fish are doing alright. There is only one snail left, I originally put in 4-5 snails. In the beginning I saw a hermit crab kill a snail and steal its shell.

How many hermit crabs should I keep in a 90 gallon?