PDA

View Full Version : Flame Angel with Ich

Bob46
09/09/2014, 06:25 PM
After a 4 week Qt I put my flame angel in the display tank and four days later bang ich. It is in the DT with 2 clowns a royal gramma and a lawn mower blenny. I have an empty 72 gallon bowfront would it be possible to fill it half full and put all the fish in it for treatment?

Bob46
09/09/2014, 06:35 PM
I know angels do not like copper so would Ap Quick Cure work or is Zinc Free Malachite Green, Formalin worse than copper. Effectively treats:
• Ich
• Velvet
• Gasping for Air
• Flicking against Rocks
• Protozoan Parasites
• Mild Fluke outbreaks
Aquarium Products Quick Cure, Ich treatment, 3/4 ounce • Costia
• Chilodonella
• Trichodina

INGREDIENTS:
Zinc Free Malachite Green, Formalin

More Information for Quick Cure:

Directions; Shake well before using. Remove and discard all carbon from filter, but DO NOT discontinue filtration. Typically cures ich in 24 hours, treatment can be repeated in 24-48 hours, if necessary. If fish experience stress, change 50% of the water. Sometimes treatment will take 10 days to fully irradiate infestations.
Carbon or other similar chemical filter media can be replaced after treatment is finished or added to the filter temporarily for 2 hours prior to each subsequent treatment then removed again to lower toxicity (correct mineralization and a pH over 7 is also important, see Aquarium Ich Treatment, Prevention). Quick Cure will temporarily change water color to blue.

Dosing Chart:
1 ml treats 18 gallons (68 liters)
I teaspoon treats 90 gallons (340 liters)
1 capful treats 250 gallons (950 liters)
1 fluid oz. Treats 500 gallons (1900 liters)
For Tetras or other delicate fish such as loaches, treat half dose.

snorvich
09/09/2014, 06:41 PM
For ich, the quickest, easiest and most effective treatment is tank transfer. However your display tank must remain fallow for 12 weeks.

Bob46
09/09/2014, 07:13 PM
What do you think the smallest tank size is that I could use to do the ttm on them? The Angel is 3.5 inches, Gramma 3 inches ,Blenny 3 inches and one clown is 3 inches the other is 1.5 inches thanks.

snorvich
09/09/2014, 07:17 PM
What do you think the smallest tank size is that I could use to do the ttm on them? The Angel is 3.5 inches, Gramma 3 inches ,Blenny 3 inches and one clown is 3 inches the other is 1.5 inches thanks.

Probably a 20 gallon tub or tank.

Bob46
09/09/2014, 07:24 PM
I hope I can save these guys. Thank You

Newsmyrna80
09/09/2014, 07:50 PM
Formalin or Quick Cure is not effective in treating ich. As Steve said tank transfer. Read the stickies at the top of the forum that Steve wrote concerning crypto.

wooden_reefer
09/10/2014, 10:49 AM
For ich, the quickest, easiest and most effective treatment is tank transfer. However your display tank must remain fallow for 12 weeks.

What did you do during the four weeks of QT? Did you just observe for ich or did you treat actively?

While four weeks of active QT is chancy, the chance that ich can be eradicated within 4 weeks of active treatment is not low, just not high enough.

I don't like TT per se but this is a teaser here. This is because you have to wait for the fallow period in the DT. What are you going to do after TT and wait for 12 weeks in the DT.

You need to support your fish for the fallow period. How?

I suggest that you treat this in two stages.

First is to prevent your fish from dying from heavy enough ich infestation. Light infestation is harmless to fish.

You can treat your fish briefly to prevent them from dying and then return them to ich infested DT. Observe keenly for heavy enough infestation on the fish and you may have to repeat once.

Meanwhile, you cycle ASAP in a separate container in preparation for eradication of ich. Under ideal condition, a cycle is good to go in 21 days (a little less if the setup is wet-dry type).

The intrinsic limitation of TT is further illustrated here--a teaser solution.

HumbleFish
09/10/2014, 10:52 AM
What did you do during the four weeks of QT? Did you just observe for ich or did you treat actively?

While four weeks of active QT is chancy, the chance that ich can be eradicated within 4 weeks of active treatment is not low, just not high enough.

I don't like TT per se but this is a teaser here. This is because you have to wait for the fallow period in the DT. What are you going to do after TT and wait for 12 weeks in the DT.

You need to support you fish for the fallow period. How?

First is to prevent your fish from dying from heavy enough ich infestation. Light infestation is harmless to fish.

You can treat your fish briefly to prevent them from dying and then return them to ich infested DT.

Meanwhile, you cycle ASAP in a separate container in preparation for eradication of ich. Under ideal condition, a cycle is good to go in 21 days (a little less if the setup is wet-dry type).

:facepalm:

lagatbezan
09/10/2014, 12:44 PM
If you can, this is what I would do: Get two 10g tanks and do the tt (petco sometimes has them on sale for like $10 each, if not sometimes they still honor it, just ask). I would also setup and cycle the 72g and transfer the fish to it after the tt is complete. Keep them in the 72g for the 12 week fallow period of your main tank. keep in mind that you would also need at least two sets of equipment to do the tt successfully. I usually do the tt a couple of more times then the recommended just to be on the safe side.

wooden_reefer
09/10/2014, 01:11 PM
If you can, this is what I would do: Get two 10g tanks and do the tt (petco sometimes has them on sale for like $10 each, if not sometimes they still honor it, just ask). I would also setup and cycle the 72g and transfer the fish to it after the tt is complete. Keep them in the 72g for the 12 week fallow period of your main tank. keep in mind that you would also need at least two sets of equipment to do the tt successfully. I usually do the tt a couple of more times then the recommended just to be on the safe side.

You can use Prime or Amquel during TT while you cycle ASAP for QT.

72 g tank seems too large and wasteful of water as a QT, however. You can cycle some medium of filtration and use it in the 72g or a small container or tank.

After you realize how easy it is to cycle for QT, TT likely will become less attractive in the future.

Cujo13
09/10/2014, 02:31 PM

You need to support your fish for the fallow period. How?

You can treat your fish briefly to prevent them from dying and then return them to ich infested DT. Observe keenly for heavy enough infestation on the fish and you may have to repeat once.

Why do you think a light infestation of ich is not harmful and what method of eradication are you suggesting he use?

wooden_reefer
09/10/2014, 03:58 PM
Why do you think a light infestation of ich is not harmful and what method of eradication are you suggesting he use?

Light infestation of ich is better than ammonia and no food for the duration. Light infestation does not kill fish if corrected in time.

Eradication of ich without cycled medium in QT is difficult to do safely. You need 12 weeks of fishlessness in DT so you need cycled medium in QT for 12 weeks.

Hence the two-stage solution I recommend.

First treat so that no obvious infestation is seen, then return to DT. Watch closely repeat if necessary.

Second, at the same time cycle ASAP some medium in another container (can be a five-gallon bucket). After cycle, use the medium in QT for eradication.

Cujo13
09/10/2014, 06:21 PM
Light infestation of ich is better than ammonia and no food for the duration. Light infestation does not kill fish if corrected in time.

Eradication of ich without cycled medium in QT is difficult to do safely. You need 12 weeks of fishlessness in DT so you need cycled medium in QT for 12 weeks.

Hence the two-stage solution I recommend.

First treat so that no obvious infestation is seen, then return to DT. Watch closely repeat if necessary. how soon? what kind of treatment? If before 12 weeks can the fish be re-infected?

Second, at the same time cycle ASAP some medium in another container (can be a five-gallon bucket). After cycle, use the medium in QT for eradication.

wooden_reefer
09/10/2014, 06:49 PM
"how soon? what kind of treatment? If before 12 weeks can the fish be re-infected?"

Treatment against ich should start when you can see dots.

You can try hypo if dots are very few, just one or two. If I already see numerous dots, I would use copper. All angels are sensitive to copper, but 0.2 ppm metallic Cu is safe as long as you assess the volume of the water well.

After several days of treatment when all the dots are gone, if you have no good way to support the fish (a place where they will eat well and not face significant ammonia), you are better to put them back into the un-eradicated DT. You then observe for a max of about three weeks. During these three weeks, you may have to repeat treating.

After three weeks, your medium would have cycled (if your setup is proper). You can then start the 12 weeks of eradication and waiting (if any) for a total of at least 12 weeks, which is the fallow time of the DT.

Cujo13
09/10/2014, 08:36 PM

You can also go just about anywhere and pick up a couple of the sterilite containers, 66 quarts, 16.5 gallons. Water test first of course. When you are done use them to organize something. Tank Transfer works. Hope it goes well, good luck!

Deinonych
09/11/2014, 09:00 AM
Ammonia is not a concern with TT, and can be easily addressed with Prime or Amquel. Post-TT, a QT can be set up using Bio-spira and some sort of porous media (I use Seachem Matrix) in a HOB filter. Moving fish back into the DT while one waits for a QT to fully cycle only extends their suffering and increases the chances for failure IMO.

wooden_reefer
09/11/2014, 12:23 PM
"Moving fish back into the DT while one waits for a QT to fully cycle only extends their suffering and increases the chances for failure IMO."

Long ago before the need to eradicate ich was well-established, most people did just this, by default. That was, to see ich re-appear in DT after treatment.

This recurrance does not kill fish per se but frustrates the aquarist. One generally treats again until mental exhaustion. There might be exceptions but this is generally the case.

Likely ammonia and lack of food actually claim more fish lives than ich itself. These have long term consequences after recovery from ich.

At any rate, use Amquel or Prime for only three weeks if you want to. I am sure that one will get nervous and do WC during such time--a lot of work.

Cycling ASAP now is the only wise thing to do--necessary.

The difference is 9 weeks vs 12 weeks of easy maintenance with cycled medium. 12 weeks of Amquel/Prime and WC is simply foolish.

Cycling for QT is extremely easy; some still want to shun it for inferior alternatives.

Deinonych
09/11/2014, 01:03 PM
At any rate, use Amquel or Prime for only three weeks if you want to. I am sure that one will get nervous and do WC during such time--a lot of work.

Cycling ASAP now is the only wise thing to do--necessary.

The difference is 9 weeks vs 12 weeks of easy maintenance with cycled medium. 12 weeks of Amquel/Prime and WC is simply foolish.

Cycling for QT is extremely easy; some still want to shun it for inferior alternatives.

Or, you could just use Bio-spira and porous media and skip the need for Prime/Amquel and multiple water changes. While not an ideal long-term solution (QT is temporary, after all), it works extremely well to remove NH3.