PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Snail in Sump? Leave it?

XStroX
09/10/2014, 08:30 PM
I've never intentionally added any critters to my sump/refugium and today after almost a year of having the tank setup, the snail (I think) in the attached pictures randomly showed up. No clue how it got there. Probably a hitchike. It is fairly big. Should I leave it in the sump/refugium or move it to the display tank where my other snails are? Anyone know what type it is? I tried to grab it and it is suctioned on extremely strong.

thedasher
09/10/2014, 08:51 PM
Wow that thing is huge. Im not sure what it is but to get it off the glass try sliding it upward.

SammyL
09/10/2014, 08:56 PM
I can't remover the name of it but it is a harmless type of snail. I have a course of them in my dd as well.

jeperry3
09/10/2014, 08:58 PM
Keyhole limpet. Most think they are a good hitchhiker. Some species are thought to eat SPS corals.
http://www.lionfishlair.com/hitchhiker/hitchhiker.shtml

XStroX
09/11/2014, 04:13 PM
Sounds like perhaps I should just leave him in the sump? He looks pretty cool is the only reason I was thinking about putting him in the DT. I just don't want to take that chance if he may eat any of my corals.

discocarp
09/11/2014, 04:22 PM
It is very unlikely to be a pest. Most species are beneficial. They can be pretty hard to dislodge though.

Do you have any light in your sump? If not its just going to starve down there.

Crooked Reef
09/11/2014, 06:06 PM
I highly doubt it will go after corals. There are some that will but don't turn up too often. The only reason I would be worried about leaving it in your sump is if it can get into your return pump and jam the impeller. If not you can either leave it in to sump or try to move it to the display. Maybe put a few pieces of rock rubble in there and move the rubble into the display when it goes onto one of the pieces. You may damage it if you try to rip it off of anything.

Crooked Reef
09/11/2014, 06:08 PM
Oh, you may want to throw a peppermint shrimp in there to take care of the aiptasia as well before it spreads to the display.

Buzz1329
09/11/2014, 09:10 PM
In wine there is wisdom; in beer thyere is strength, but whiskey is the water of life.

Too true. Usquaebach is literally the water of life. Also, totally did not see the aiptasia in 2d photo until you pointed it out. Peppermint shrimps have sometimes worked for me, but I've found that sump shortens their lives. I'd go with turn pumps off, slice out AA with razor, and see what happens. But to each his or her own.