PDA

View Full Version : Mask Perscription Lenses

Mattewell
09/11/2014, 02:54 PM
I'm taking a trip to Hawaii and will be doing some diving. I haven't been diving in about 10 years, so I'm very excited to be doing this again. Since the time I last went and now, my eyes have gone downhill. I would like to get prescription lenses for my mask but I'm at a loss for how to replace them in my current mask. I own the Oceanic Ion2 mask and it should be able to accept these lenses. Anybody know how I disassemble the mask and put the lenses in?

Mattewell
09/11/2014, 03:01 PM
Also, my prescription is -1.75, -2.0. It looks like lenses only come in increments of .5, would it be better to do -2.0,-2.0 or -1.5,-2.0?

ace_92101
09/11/2014, 06:31 PM
I have a Tusa mask and the lenses just pop out and in. Just be careful. You can have a dive shop do it for you. Even though I use the prescription mask the most, I still carry a regular mask and contacts. I'd under correct, as objects appear larger underwater.

Mattewell
09/11/2014, 07:35 PM
Good point on under correction. I consider myself pretty handy with tools, but I can not figure out a way to get these lenses out without destroying the mask. I think I might have a professional dive shop change the lenses like you suggested.

hogfanreefer
09/13/2014, 09:09 AM
Can you get prescription lens with a bifocal configuration. Clear on the top and reading prescription on the bottom? I do well with good light and clear water but if the lighting is poor I have trouble reading my gauges/computer.

billsreef
09/13/2014, 04:18 PM
They make little stick on magnifying lens you can get for your mask to help with reading gauges.

reefteaser
09/14/2014, 07:43 AM
Just did this for my new Cressi mask. I have a similar prescription, and am also very "handy", but trust me, aside from Tusa masks (they were pretty easy), don't do it yourself without proper instruction. Well worth the extra $20 or so to have it done and let the shop take the risk. Ordered mine from leisure pro, terrific service.
One of my eyes is -1.25. Went with -1 and don't notice the difference.
You can have lenses made for any prescription, but they will be much more expensive than the single vision lenses ready made for the mask you're getting.

Mattewell
09/15/2014, 08:21 AM
They make little stick on magnifying lens you can get for your mask to help with reading gauges.

Good to know, thanks Bill I'll look for this.

Mattewell
09/15/2014, 08:22 AM
Just did this for my new Cressi mask. I have a similar prescription, and am also very "handy", but trust me, aside from Tusa masks (they were pretty easy), don't do it yourself without proper instruction. Well worth the extra $20 or so to have it done and let the shop take the risk. Ordered mine from leisure pro, terrific service.
One of my eyes is -1.25. Went with -1 and don't notice the difference.
You can have lenses made for any prescription, but they will be much more expensive than the single vision lenses ready made for the mask you're getting.

Also good to know you couldn't notice the difference, this may help with my final lens selection.

Deinonych
09/18/2014, 02:50 PM

+1

I use these for my mask (Atomic Venom) since they don't make prescription lenses for it. They work great.