PDA

View Full Version : shipping fish--chemicals

wooden_reefer
09/11/2014, 06:11 PM
What might be some recommended chemicals to be included in shipping bags for long distance travel, planned for about 20 hours?

I got 3 mil bags.

billsreef
09/12/2014, 05:49 AM
Well buffered seawater, a dose of Amquell or other such ammonia detoxifier, and a fill the airspace of the bag with pure O2. Bag should be filled 1/3 with SW and 2/3 with O2.

toothybugs
09/12/2014, 09:13 AM
That. What he said.

38bill
09/12/2014, 10:35 AM
Also make sure to use a big enough bag. You need enough water and air space.

PS: I have a small cutting torch tank set so I just fill the bag with O2 from it. Around here most fishing bait shops have O2 tanks also.

swk
09/12/2014, 02:13 PM
A small amount of ammonia detoxifier would be good. Be careful as some types remove o2 from the water as they work, which is a big issue when shipping fish. Some use bag buddies, or a product called ship-shape that contains a mild tranquilizer that will calm the fish to slow respiration during the shipping process.

Toward the end of my cichlid breeding days, I also experimented with the kordon brand "breather bags" They work extremely well. I would recommend consulting google and get some info about them. In certain situations they work rather well.

wooden_reefer
09/12/2014, 04:08 PM
I now even found 4 MIL bags. Do I need 4 MIL?

Is the luggage compartment of the modern aircraft well-pressurized, as well as passenger compartment? When I put O2 into the bag, should I expect expansion?

Also, where should heating pads be placed? Outside or inside the insulation?

billsreef
09/12/2014, 04:41 PM
Thicker is better, less likely to puncture from spines ;) In any event, I'd also double bag. No problems with the cargo hold pressure. I tape the heat packs to the lid. One or two is generally sufficient, depending on box size. More is not better, as they will consume the air in the box faster and end up cold.