PDA

View Full Version : HOB skimmer a must for interim?

PsymonStark
09/12/2014, 12:30 AM
Hi Reefers.

Pretty new around here, just reading and learning as much as I can. I watched literally hundreds of reef keeping videos and plenty forum posts. I have a 30G FOWLR with puffer inside.

I understand one of the keys to success is to get a skimmer and a sump of course. I have neither as of yet. Mostly because I have been learning and saving up as well. Not the cheapest hobby around :)

My plan is to setup the 30g with a sump and I have a smaller 15g nano sized tank in another room.
Would you reefers recommend getting a HOB reef octopus in the interim for the 30g before I get the sump up, to at least have SOME skimming happening? (I can then use the reef octopus later on the nano afterwards.)
And when the time is right, add the sump and a vertex 130 or 150.

Maybe you guys could help me with sorting out this list in terms of its priorities

1. Heaters. Live Rock. and flow (they number 1 cause I think without it little life exists- correct me if I'm wrong)
2.skimmer and sump
3. RODI unit
4. Carbon and GFC dosing
5... ?

lutz123
09/12/2014, 03:41 AM
Honestly, with good live rock and flow you don't need any skimmer, gfo, or carbon. Water changes are often plenty in small tanks unless it is extremely overstocked and you have very messy eaters. See how your tank runs without those, check parameters regularly while you are getting your feet wet, and make adjustments where necessary. That way you learn why equipment is needed and what situations call for it. I run skimmerless on all four of my nanos, and only use filter floss and flow. My tanks are very healthy. Heck, you could easily run a 30 on an oversize hob filter and a powerhead.

Your biggest expenses will be quality live rock and lighting. If you think you are going to have a sump then do it before you fill your tank. It isn't necessary, but does increase water volume.

Continue doing research but understand that the hobby is filled with gadgets that are sometimes overhyped.

PsymonStark
09/12/2014, 07:12 AM
Honestly, with good live rock and flow you don't need any skimmer, gfo, or carbon. Water changes are often plenty in small tanks unless it is extremely overstocked and you have very messy eaters. See how your tank runs without those, check parameters regularly while you are getting your feet wet, and make adjustments where necessary. That way you learn why equipment is needed and what situations call for it. I run skimmerless on all four of my nanos, and only use filter floss and flow. My tanks are very healthy. Heck, you could easily run a 30 on an oversize hob filter and a powerhead.

Your biggest expenses will be quality live rock and lighting. If you think you are going to have a sump then do it before you fill your tank. It isn't necessary, but does increase water volume.

Continue doing research but understand that the hobby is filled with gadgets that are sometimes overhyped.

Hey thanks so much for this!! Gives me some confidence!

Billybatz9
09/12/2014, 08:59 AM

I am going to setup a 30. Which hob filter and power head would you recommend? Also, how do you use filter floss?

lutz123
09/12/2014, 10:18 AM
I am going to setup a 30. Which hob filter and power head would you recommend? Also, how do you use filter floss?

The aquaclears are good (now hagen/fluval) and easy to modify into refugiums, media holders, etc. you can look for aquaclear mods online. Probably an AC110, or if it's a standard 30, maybe two AC70s spread apart? If you are talking about a 30 breeder, you may find it is narrow and hard to aquascape. Most prefer a 40 breeder, generally the same dimensions but a little more room to work with. As for powerheads, that depends on how much flow your inhabitants need. I like the koralia's 425s - probably one at each end. There are more expensive options, but until it becomes necessary, these are a cheap investment and can also be used to mix water later. you can also go with maxijets. Ultimately, if you are using mechanical filtration (like filter floss or a sponge) you want to keep detritus suspended, avoid completely dead spots behind and between rocks, and direct it generally towards your hob so that it can be filtered. If you go with slightly less flow, you can always use a turkey baster (or a long aquarium one) and blow off your rocks before a water change. You can also get a surface skimmer if it becomes necessary.

Filter floss just looks like stuffing and you can get it by the bag at your lfs. Just tear off a wad big enough to wedge in but not too compacted and shove it in the media basket. Mine stays put pretty well, but you don't want to tear off small chunks that get swept into the tank with the flow.